Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Furniture refinisher
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just finished a new deck on the back of the house and need to build two cabinets. One for low voltage power converter, and one for furniture cushions. Am trying to decide on best construction for quality, low maintenance construction. I have sufficient stock of alder to make frames if the cabinets are frame w/plywood inserts. But should I get 3/4 ply Baltic birch & make entire unit from plywood? I could paint or stain inside & outside of cabinets.
The Deck is 5/4 KDAT pine. Stain is a new product (to me) called "OneTime" which is UV cured (sunlight) and has claims of 5-7 year's between recoat!
So, this is my dilemma. Would appreciate suggestions. Thanks, Gayle:yes:

·
Registered
26,389 Posts
I have just finished a new deck on the back of the house and need to build two cabinets. One for low voltage power converter, and one for furniture cushions. Am trying to decide on best construction for quality, low maintenance construction. I have sufficient stock of alder to make frames if the cabinets are frame w/plywood inserts. But should I get 3/4 ply Baltic birch & make entire unit from plywood? I could paint or stain inside & outside of cabinets.
The Deck is 5/4 KDAT pine. Stain is a new product (to me) called "OneTime" which is UV cured (sunlight) and has claims of 5-7 year's between recoat!
So, this is my dilemma. Would appreciate suggestions. Thanks, Gayle:yes:
I don't believe I would use alder for exterior cabinets especially if it goes anywhere near ground level. I think alder must be the prefered snack for termites. Then baltic birch is a interior plywood and won't hold up to water. If you have a source for dry pressure treated pine and treated plywood I would rather use that. It takes a long time after wood is treated for the water to dry out of treated pine. Some small lumber companies have it setting in a rack for so long the water is dried out of it and ready to use. If that isn't a option my second choise would be western cedar. It's stable but lacks strength. You could also finish it with the same stain you used on the deck. The door panels you could use a exterior 1/4" exterior fir plywood and assemble it with a glue such as titebond III.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Not sure what look you're going for. But for sheet goods that would be painted, have you considered MDO? MDO is medium density overlay (not to be confused with MDF) and is often used in the sign industry for exterior signs. It is designed to be exposed to weather. It came to my attention on an old yankee workshop project Norm made. I've never used it myself but have always kept it in mind for outdoor projects. Trim could be western red cedar or another exterior quality wood, even pressure treated. Or rip strips of MDO.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts