Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I need to make for my sister-in-law a "footrest" for under her teak table that sits on her composite deck. Thinking about:

Simple box, seven feet long, two feet wide, 18 inches tall. 3/4" outdoor pine sheathing PT plywood. Dado joints, TB3 and SS screws.

Stock trim simple designs.

Will add a lid with SS piano hinges for storage inside. Thinking about laminating two pieces of 3/4" ply for the lid.

Three coats of outdoor paint.

Any thoughts appreciated for a better design.

One question - do I need some type of feet to avoid water wicking up from the deck?

Thanks

·
Registered
404 Posts
Have you ever tried laminating two pieces of 3/4" exterior grade plywood together? I've tried doing that with 1/4" oak veneer ply and it wasn't pretty. You'd need some pretty hefty cauls and clamps. I'd go with solid lumber. You could use 5/4" decking planks. If you don't glue them up, you could put building paper between the planks and the tie-boards underneath. Just make sure you slot the holes before screwing.

Yes, I'd put feet on it.

·
Banned
3,535 Posts
Feet, yes. I'd still do the ply lamination, personally. It will move a lot less than solid wood though I do agree you'd need some good cauls or weights to distribute the glue well enough and get even pressure. I've done it with smaller pieces to good effect using buckets of sand and free weights.

·
Banned
3,535 Posts
I'd go with rubber feet, especially if you're concerned at all about wicking of water into the wood. The link scheme posted will give you a fair number of options for inconspicuous feet that will still keep the wood off the deck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts