Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building an outdoor kitchen that will have a 42" high seating area for 8. I have looked for outdoor stools but am not coming up with anything I really like. So, I'm thinking about building them. These will be outdoor without a roof over them. I don't need arms but would like a back. Should I use teak? Is it expensive? I've never worked with it. Does anyone have a design?

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
I am building an outdoor kitchen that will have a 42" high seating area for 8. I have looked for outdoor stools but am not coming up with anything I really like. So, I'm thinking about building them. These will be outdoor without a roof over them. I don't need arms but would like a back. Should I use teak? Is it expensive? I've never worked with it. Does anyone have a design?

Teak would be expensive. You could use Cedar, Cypress, White Oak, Ipe, or Redwood. Actually the best for outdoor use would be Plexiglas. I had to make these. No backs though.
Furniture Stool Bar stool Table Beige

·
Registered
122 Posts
C-man's wood recommendations are spot on. I would think about the weight of the stool and how easy it would be to pull up to the bar. Ipe and white oak could turn out to be quite heavy and therefore hard to pull up to the bar if they have a back. This could leave you with a need to put the seat on a swivel.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
C-man's wood recommendations are spot on. I would think about the weight of the stool and how easy it would be to pull up to the bar. Ipe and white oak could turn out to be quite heavy and therefore hard to pull up to the bar if they have a back. This could leave you with a need to put the seat on a swivel.
Thanks guys. I have a set of outdoor chairs (bought them) made from cypress and they have a tendency to mildew. I have to clean them often. Cedar would seem to me to be too weak at any joints. White oak might be heavy as Pop Pop said. IPE I don't know anything about. This brings me to redwood. Now that sounds good to me. And the swivel seat sounds like a good idea regardless of what kind of wood or how heavy it is. I just need a plan now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts