Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am restoring an outdoor patio bench, and I have some ash to replace the slats that were previously used on it.
What is the best (and easiest) way to finish the slats? I'm not concerned about the finished color.
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Bob

·
Registered
27,880 Posts
Ash doesn't do well outdoors but if you are going to use it I would finish it with a marine grade spar varnish. This time of year if it is cold where you are it might be a good idea to let each coat dry several days and scuff sand it a little with 220 grit paper before applying another coat. The finish can be brushed, sprayed or wiped on. I prefer spraying it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ash doesn't do well outdoors but if you are going to use it I would finish it with a marine grade spar varnish. This time of year if it is cold where you are it might be a good idea to let each coat dry several days and scuff sand it a little with 220 grit paper before applying another coat. The finish can be brushed, sprayed or wiped on. I prefer spraying it.
Thanks for the reply.
I am not even certain the the wood is ash. The person who gave it to me thought that it was, but I'll follow your recommendation.
Bob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts