Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting a little bored in retirement so I thought I'd build a boat....in my basement ...just like Jethro Gibbs.

Had a 5 hr trip to the middle of Michigan to get this Honduras Mahogany in the quantity I needed and the right price.
Also marine plywood .
Lots of studying and more studying , templates made from the prints as my woodworking friend wants to build the same at a later date. Double side sticky tape to template then saw very close then flush cut router to size.
Half lap joints and external gussets added.
Jig is mostly built and now for the hard part rearranging my small basement workshop to have room to build it.

Wheel Tire Plant Wood Vehicle
Hat Asphalt Shorts Plant Road surface
Handwriting Wood Rectangle Font Material property
Wood Roof Engineering Flooring Composite material
Wood Rectangle Shipping box Hardwood Font
Leg Road surface Asphalt Bag Wood

· Administrator
David - Machinist in wood
6,621 Posts

· Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice, looking forward to watching this, and from a fellow basement shop guy, how you will get it out.
Thanks.
Wife won't let me blow out the back wall like the TV show Heh heh
I have a walkout basement so I'll turn it on edge with some padded moving dollies.
It's 14' long 5' 9" wide and 27"? tall there abouts.
I will have to take out part of a wall to get it in the main area but I put the wall in yrs back and it's not load bearing.

· Premium Member
4,800 Posts
The goal of some people is to be the guy everyone wonders about. I’d say you’re off to a good start, son 😁😁

BTW you look way to young to be “retired”. Whatever that is…….

Nice lumber, looking forward to more posts!

· Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The goal of some people is to be the guy everyone wonders about. I’d say you’re off to a good start, son 😁😁

BTW you look way to young to be “retired”. Whatever that is…….

Nice lumber, looking forward to more posts!
Thanks
That's my son on the bandsaw and my friend on the router seems like everyone wants to get in on this :)

· Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Probably too late now but I would have suggested some roller stands to help support the pieces going through the bandsaw. Risk getting oddball angles on the cut.

· Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Probably too late now but I would have suggested some roller stands to help support the pieces going through the bandsaw. Risk getting oddball angles on the cut.
I got junior trained well and also stock is left for the trim bit cut on the router.
Some of those pcs had a helping hand , have a couple of rollers but really would need a roller table for some of these pcs.

· Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Shop has been rearranged ( not quite there but close) with more effort than I wished to expend.
I nap soundly and sleep soundly with this project.
I'm just getting used to a clean bill of health after more than three years.
Stamina is coming back daily.

Need some more lighting and I have everything ready to do it.
Working on the dados to accept the keel and battens two on portside two on starboard on the stern.
At assembly one more 3/4 thick stern covers it so it will be blind dado .

2 X jig need to be anchored to the floor and screwed together.
It will be cozy area for this project.

What's up with the Hydrotek plywood (Meranti faced Marine) ?
Very hard on the new trim router bit and actually threw a few sparks .
I'm thinking some tough glue and they floated the logs to the mill ...and hit every sand bar on the way.

Wood Table Flooring Kitchen utensil Hardwood
Wood Flooring Floor Automotive tire Hardwood
Handwriting Wood Font Wall Rectangle

· Registered
Termite
9,499 Posts
Getting a little bored in retirement so I thought I'd build a boat....in my basement ...just like Jethro Gibbs.

Had a 5 hr trip to the middle of Michigan to get this Honduras Mahogany in the quantity I needed and the right price.
Also marine plywood .
Lots of studying and more studying , templates made from the prints as my woodworking friend wants to build the same at a later date. Double side sticky tape to template then saw very close then flush cut router to size.
Half lap joints and external gussets added.
Jig is mostly built and now for the hard part rearranging my small basement workshop to have room to build it.

View attachment 442136 View attachment 442137 View attachment 442138 View attachment 442139 View attachment 442140 View attachment 442141
Getting put of your comfort zone is how you learn. Looking forward to the finished project...

· Premium Member
6,980 Posts
@Tree Hugger
I dont know whose plans you are using or size of the boat but check this out.
Most boats are built upside down to build the hull first and then must be "rolled" over to do the final work.
Like I said, I'm not familiar with what you are doing but just wanted to bring up that point.

IGNORE WHAT I SAID..I just noticed that you covered that in a previous post. I just missed that one.

· Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It's a Glen L design called the Zip designed in the 50's.
It's a popular boat to build and you'll see many examples doing a search on you tube.
It's no hotrod I'll be using a shortshaft 40hp on it. ( should be good for 30mph ..it's slow like me nowadays).
Just a 5 degree deadrise so a smooth water boat.

I think most everyone has seen there ad in the popular mechanics ect mags over the decades.
I have always stared at there ad for a bit and looked them up a few times a year on the internet
not thinking I'd ever build one just being curious .

I have 10 yrs of powerboating experience to draw from and my buddies and I were real gearheads
about it . Thought I got boating out of my system...apparently not.

Yes built upside down first and you may see the jig set up with the frames within a week.

· Premium Member
6,980 Posts
All 3 boats I built were Glen designs. That was almost 40 years ago. Their blue prints and actual size prints for difficult pieces are the greatest. Every so often I still pull up their website and look at some of their boats. Man I wish I had to space to build one. I used mainly Philippine mahogany and marine plywood. Two I built myself and the 3rd I was helping another woodworker.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts