Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really enjoys king wood furniture out side, I have made some picnic table and sold a few, by mistake?? Lol but love doing it got me wondering if I could make a living doing so??

·
Registered
157 Posts
It's always possible! I am just a hobbyist and I do sell a few things on the side. But I don't think I could make enough money to quit my day job and provide for my family. It's nice just to turn the extra money into new tools or wood for my own projects.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I've got to be the luckiest guy in the world... lots of folks ask me to make things for them or do remodeling work and I always turn them down. I've been retired almost 4 years now and collected my 1st Social Security check last week. I'm just too busy working for the family or giving things out to fundraising events.

My wife fulfilled her life time goal after raising our 4 sons by earning her Master's degree at the age of 50. She's got a great job and provides us with insurance. I do the cooking and house work along with woodworking and remodeling our 100+ year old home. How do we manage? It's simple! Contrary to many opinions - I worked a very good union job that provided me a good living and a comfortable pension.

This is an excellent woodworking site so I will not get into the political "Union" work issue. If anyone wishes to bash unions with me, please contact me privately... It's not a black and white issue, but I'm proud to be a Teamster!

·
crosseyed & dyslexic
589 Posts

I started making these potting benches after my wife started telling everyone who would listen to her go on about how cool they were. 5/4 cedar decking and the top slats are mahogany cut offs from my cousins shop.
I made at least a dozen selling for $175 each, pretty easy to make.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's awesome, very well made.. I have a great job and on my free time I make things, I am not the best wood worker but I am learning.. I have bought a few plans off eBay and ingot to say its been really fun, every time I make something someone else wants me to sell them one.. Have fun do it and selling them, has been great!!! Very rewarding...

·
Registered
13,060 Posts
I really enjoys king wood furniture out side, I have made some picnic table and sold a few, by mistake?? Lol but love doing it got me wondering if I could make a living doing so??
How do you sell something by mistake?

By the way, welcome to the forum. How about a little introduction.

George

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well, its always a great experience to relax in the yard, sitting on your home garden furniture. There are many types of wood that are used for outdoor furniture, however, teak wood is always a popular choice for outdoor furniture. Teak wood is naturally resistant to decay and insects.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yeah teak is an expensive kind of wood since it has good quality features. It's also getting more and more popular these days :smile:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts