Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started this gate and trellis combination back near the end of August. I installed chain link fence, but I wanted a nice looking entry. The final touches went on this weekend. It is 11 feet wide and the centers of the gates are 57.5 inches high. Its western red cedar with Sikkens SRD "077 cedar"

This was my first shot at mortise and tenon joints. Also my first time routing flutes. The gates have 2.5 inch deep mortises cut with my router (split tenons on the bottoms). The mortises on the trellis frames are a measly 1.5 inch deep. All the tenons were cut with my router, hand saws and chisels.

All the spindles in the gates are in 1 inch loose mortises top and bottom. Cutting the angled square holes on curved pieces was a challenge and so was getting the tops of the spindles just right. The lattice is half-laps, all cut with my circular saw and trusty chisel. No, not every piece of lattice is mortised into the frame, just the 3 vertical pieces and 3 of the horizontal pieces.

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
You should be very proud of that.
Nicely done.
I like the hardware also:yes:

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
That is very elegant. It looks great. It won't keep zombies out, but that's not its purpose either. The finish looks great too.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Log dog
7,935 Posts
Now all you need are stairs leading to the gate. "The pearly gates" god job on the gates. Nice craftsmanship.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts