Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I never remember to take photos of anything until they are gone and it is too late. Anyway, this time I did. This was made from a branch of a cedar tree. I had never turned cedar before because it is so open and porous. Anyway, I tried a new to me finishing product - Osmo. It is an impressive finish. I applied it with a cheap throw away acid brush. It took 4 coats - one a day, to finally get the solid smooth finish into the pores of the wood. It is an impressive finish but quite pricey. I think it was $23 for a can the size of a small can of MinWax stain - a really tiny can. BTW, it really does shine.
Tableware Flowerpot Drinkware Dishware Cup

·
Premium Member
5,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Jim Frye
I sold it yesterday. I didn'yt take measurements, but it wasn't very big. I will look for a similar size and let you know.

·
Premium Member
5,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@Quickstep
This bowl shines like glass. Actually took several photo's and discarded them all except this. Even without direct light and no flash, it was still too reflective for the camera.
They told me that I only needed one coat. In my case I actually needed 3 maybe 4 coats, trying to remember but it was at least 3 coats to get everything to finally soak in. I just used a cheap HF acid brush. Just used a wet coat. First time I ever used this stuff. Most of bowls are much larger and I spray gloss lacquer on them using a cheap touch-up gun. The lacquer never came out this glossy.

·
Registered
Retired and loving it.
24 Posts
Osmo is a hard wax oil and I have used it for a number of years now. Our floors are coated with it and it's pretty well bullet proof. I also coated an island worktop in the kitchen with it about 7 years back and I have just had to re do it.

I use Chestnut hard wax oil on most of my turning and a single coat then a wipe over and buff with microcrystalline wax and they are ready to go.This is a cedar dish I did a few years back, hard wax oil and Micro/c wax.

Wood Comfort Beige Natural material Tree

Dishware Wood Ingredient Cuisine Tableware

I didn't have a big enough bit of cedar to do it hence my first attempt at segment turning. It's about 12" diameter.

·
Premium Member
5,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@Jim Frye
I'm gonna guess at the size by measuring my coffee mug and best recall as to shape. I'm thinking 5 1/2" diameter and 5 1/2" tall.
BTW I bought the Osmo recently and was told that one coat is all it should take. I'm gonna say that if this was a hardwood with tight grain he was probably right. It took me several coats because even the first coat had shine to it in about 50% of the surface. The rest got soaked in like a sponge. The Osmo is expensive but it should last through a decent amount of bowls.

·
Registered
Retired and loving it.
24 Posts
I would use a teak oil on them. They would need re-oiling at the start and end of the season, but I think it would be better. Or you would need to get a UV protected Osmo as the internal ones don't have that.

·
Premium Member
5,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@DrRobert
I will look at the can tomorrow to see exactly which product I bought. Then I will get on internet and find manufacturers tel. no. and see what they recommend. I am not and never have been a fan of oil finishes. Poor protection and needs re-doing regularly. I think the one I have is for floor finishing. I will check tomorrow. It is called some kind of hard coat oil. It feels like lacquer or poly. It is not oily.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts