Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Say i was making a bookcase or dog house out of OSM. I have tried to Finnish OSM by sanding and by mixing up some mud, applying it and then sanding before paint. Not really working either. Just discovered my love for woodworking. Shortly after, I discovered how pricey wood can be. My job does allow me at an unlimited supply of osm. It's a little different than the store bought OSM that has one side considerably smother than the other. My wood has one side smooth, like the store bought smooth side. The other isn't bumpy and furry like store bought. It has a shinny, lacquer, or clear coat of something on both sides. Pics are of both side stores, with the shiny side of my wood on top

Attachments

·
Registered
26,313 Posts
I wouldn't use mud to fill the improfections of the wood. It is likely to flake off. I would use spackle instead and use a drywall sanding pad to sand it with. Try not to sand it completely down because the improfections will come back on you but sand it flat and finish the job of leveling with primer. I think it's likely the shiny substance you are calling lacquer is the adhesive they put the board together with.

·
where's my table saw?
27,853 Posts
that's not gonna work that well

The applied material will not adhere well, will cost extra money, take time to apply and sand and by the time you've done all that, it won't be that much more cost effective if you had just bought Exterior plywood to start with.
OSB is very sensitive to water and will deteriorate readily and crumble.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oriented_strand_board

See properties.....

Reactions: mikewedeking

·
Banned
6,838 Posts
I agree with woodnthings (Bill).

You can figure out why one side is rough pretty quick. Start decking a roof with the shiny side up and try to walk on it. Especially when a little sawdust is added. :laughing::thumbsup:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts