Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a secret to changing the sanding sleeves? How do you get the old sleeve off without cutting it? More important, how do you get the new sleeve on the rubber drum? I can only get a new sleeve about 1/2 way on. The fit is just too tight. You wouldn't put any kind of lub on it would you?

·
7,222 Posts
Don't you have a nut on the top of the sleeve's shaft that expands and retracts the rubber drum?

Bill
I have a Ridgid OSS/Belt Sander. The drums for the OSS feature are very tight. Like the original poster, I have had a difficult time removing and then replacing the drums.

I think the other reply to put the rubber drum in the freezer may help.

After wresting with the Ridgid, I recently purchased a Grizzly OSS and its rubber drums come off easily.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is a nut on the top which will compress the drum but it will not contract it. I have taken the drum off and the sanding sleeve is still too tight.

·
7,222 Posts
There is a nut on the top which will compress the drum but it will not contract it. I have taken the drum off and the sanding sleeve is still too tight.
I understand, I had the same problem with my Ridgid machine.

I had to push the drum while having the sleeve supported by the jaws of the vise. Not easy. Once the drum was exposed e.g, 1/4in I was able to grip the drum in the vise and remove the sleeve.

I also rotated the sleeve/drum in my hand, trying to compress and release both in the hope of breaking any bond.

Plan "B" is to cut the sleeve. :thumbdown:

·
Registered
473 Posts
I don't have the Ridgid, but have encountered the same problem. I used a sharp round nose wood lathe chisel on the rotating drum sander and it solved the problem for good. It cut the rubber very easily, just don't take off to much. (Of course I had to make a simple jig to support the lathe tool and used a scraping cut)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts