Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 207 Posts

·
7,222 Posts
The saw looks nice, but be aware of the digital rule.

I bought the Wixey digital fence for my table saw. It is accurate - only if you work in decimal inches or metric.

If you want to work in imperial fractions, it will not be as accurate since a "range" of decimal measurements equates to the same fraction. It is not the tool, just the nature of converting decimal to fractions.

I could move my fence to either side of a line on my the fence tape measure and it was the same readout on the Wixey. I expect the digital rule on this saw will act the same.

My Wixey is still installed on the saw, but it gathers dust.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Looks like a nice saw....I've gotten used to working in decimals...so I love the digital readout I have on my planer. But I could see the problem Dave is talking about if you work in fractions.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Since we added both a big (Multicam) and small (CNC Shark) to our furniture design shops where I teach my brain has been working in decimal fractions. We also have a Wixey angle gauge and depth gauge that get used every (school) day, so the students are familiar with the pros and cons of the tech. Thanks for mentioning your concerns. I'll post what I find out about it here.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't know of anyone else who has this saw, ...
The lack of reviews was one of my concerns, but with the SawStop models out of my price range, and no saws I was interested in sold locally, I simply am taking a chance that this saw will meet up to my expectations. I've been using a 40 year old inherited 8" Craftsman saw that still runs fine, but is limited in capability. Any 10" saw will be an upgrade. No 220 in my shop nor any easy way to add it, so the 110v hybrids out there caught my attention, and this saw looks as good as any from the posted specs.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Post pics when you get it set up as it sure looks nice. What made you select it over other hybrids like the Grizzly, etc.?
I didn't mind Grizzly's Hybrid, but as far as I could find they only sold it prewired for 220v. SawStop's hybrid caught my attention, but was out of my price range. SteelCity had one with a granite top I liked in theory but after seeing a Craftsman (made by SteelCity) with an unmatched granite sections top at my local Sears (with only 30" right of the blade) and their unwillingness to sell me a 36" version I went back to Baileigh. I like the idea of the digital gauge. Only time will tell if I like the reality of it.

4D

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So far I'm getting a little impatient with Baileigh. The day I ordered the saw I received two emails. One to confirm my purchase, and the other a cryptic but encouraging "has been processing" notice. Frankly I expected a ship notice yesterday but heard nothing from Baileigh. The web page mentioned the saw was made in Taiwan, but I assumed they would have a few in the states to fill orders with. An email inquiry to them has not yet been answered.

4D

·
Registered
13,544 Posts
Looks like a nice saw....I've gotten used to working in decimals...so I love the digital readout I have on my planer. But I could see the problem Dave is talking about if you work in fractions.
Do you/other people really use those digital readouts or analog tapes on saws to set your fence?

I do not think I would ever trust one. I measure each new setting of the fence at the front and back of the blade.

George

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Do you/other people really use those digital readouts or analog tapes on saws to set your fence?
George
I never trust a tape until it has proven itself. I'll set the saw with the tape, but check it at the blade after locking the fence. If those measurements disagree I'll then go about trying to calibrate the fence tape. If it is my saw, and no one else is using it, I'll test the setting once first thing, but if it remained accurate I'll trust it the rest of the day.

·
where's my table saw?
31,291 Posts
Here's what I do

I make a rip on a piece of plywood, it doesn't matter what width. I then measure that width. I set my cursor on my tape to that dimension. Then it's accurate to that particular blade. My fences are self squaring, a Biesemeyer and a Unifence. I would not have any other type. I occasionally check them to the miter slot, but they are always "on".
I would not enjoy woodworking IF I had to double measure for every cut... Royal PITA. :arabia: :thumbdown:

Reactions: Fastback

·
Registered
199 Posts
So far I'm getting a little impatient with Baileigh. The day I ordered the saw I received two emails. One to confirm my purchase, and the other a cryptic but encouraging "has been processing" notice. Frankly I expected a ship notice yesterday but heard nothing from Baileigh. The web page mentioned the saw was made in Taiwan, but I assumed they would have a few in the states to fill orders with. An email inquiry to them has not yet been answered.

4D

Just came across this thread. PM sent

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Shane,

Got this message when I tried to reply to your PM: "Baileigh Inc has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space."

I was called by Aaron, and he has me feeling better about my purchase.

4D

·
Registered
199 Posts
Shane,

Got this message when I tried to reply to your PM: "Baileigh Inc has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space."

I was called by Aaron, and he has me feeling better about my purchase.

4D

Sorry about that. I cleared out my messages. Has a few too many ;)

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Another day of waiting impatiently. I still expect them to ship my saw out today, but with noon approaching and my shop in limbo until the new saw is here my stress level climbs with each new hour unknowing. When I'd finally decided to get a new saw there was only one big tool outlet in my state, and they are a 2 hour drive away. I couldn't get them to answer an email about what they might have in stock, so didn't want to make that drive if I was going to end up not finding a saw I wanted.

As it is now, I'm about ready to make that drive. I could be back here in a little over 4 hours with a new saw in my truck and simply refuse FedEx when the baileigh shows up next week, assuming it does.

Me just ranting.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
To be fair...it's been 3 days. I don't know that any large item I've ever purchased had the same level of item traceability as I'd like. The couch I ordered...they told me somewhere between 2-8 weeks. The 50k truck, 8-10 weeks....heck, even my planer....I was told it would arrive in 6-14 days.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Your point is valid, Ryan. When I know a product will take 3 weeks to get to me I wait patiently. Yesterday a rep told me he would check on my order and try to make sure it went out then. Their order page has no indication of when things will ship, and when I see that I expect shipment within a day or two. The rep mentioned that 72 hours is their company stated (elsewhere on their site) goal for shipments, and that my complaint will lead to them adding that info on the order pages somewhere. A message to Shane here about "did it ship?" has not been answered, so I'm concluding it didn't go out yesterday.

They might still put it on a truck this afternoon. If they can't get one out the door until next week then at least they should let me know that.

1 - 20 of 207 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.