Woodworking Talk banner

Order of Equipment

6K views 42 replies 5 participants last post by  Sleeper 
#1 ·
Alright......So i've been using my delta dust collector for a while now, and its great......However......the filter does get filled up with dust pretty quick....and i'm constantly having to smack the sides of the filter to knock the dust out. So I'm thinking of building a thein baffle. However....heres the twist......I'd like to be able to use a plastic bag on the bottom just like I do on my dust collector. But if its behind the blower, i'm guessing its just going to suck the bag up.

Anyone ever move the blower outboard of the baffle and then use a solid line between the baffle and the dust collector?

Discussion starter · #3 ·
So....ignore my lame photo shop......but heres what I was thinking....This should allow me to use bags on both instead of a can......

Product Machine Cylinder

Discussion starter · #4 ·
My complaint with the regular thein baffle setup is that it requires emptying a can......which seems like a mess. I'm having to change it at least every few weeks, and I like now being able to just unhook the bag and away I go....no mess....

Discussion starter · #8 ·
I'm not terribly worried about what I suck up, like you it's only sawdust and chips and the occasional small chunk which have always clanked right through. So did you leave the cone you put in in place? Or nothing between the baffle and the top hole up to the filter?

Discussion starter · #10 ·
Dave Paine said:
Sorry to confuse. I started with the intent to make a cone similar to the Jet design, but then changed to just the Thien plywood baffle. In hindsight this was so much simpler and I feel more effective.
So what keeps dust from coming in and going straight up the hole to the filter?

Discussion starter · #12 ·
A very good question, seriously, not trying to be funny.

The air coming into the central collar is spun around at a high velocity.

The velocity creates a lot of centrifugal force. The bigger the particle, the more the centrifugal force will act upon the particle, forcing it to the outside of the central collar.

The baffle essentially acts as a one way stop. The air and the particles on the outside are pushed down into the lower bag. There is no twisting vortex in the lower bag to drag the particles up into the cannister.

This may sound like magic, but it really works.

When I remove my cannister there is no dust on the central collar. The flutes of the cannister have only the smallest particles, which are too light for the centrifugal force to trap.

Alright.......so I guess i'm going to give it a try. I had high hopes for the frying pan........but I guess i'm onto trying a baffle If you say yours works......i'll give it a try.

Discussion starter · #14 ·
FTR, several WWs have effected similar enhancements to their DCs with frying pans, woks and sheep metal chimney caps as they mimic the jet "vortex cone".

I tried the frying pan....and its better than without.......but not as good as I had hoped which leads me to try something else....

Discussion starter · #15 ·
Ok.....so I pulled out the pan and built a thien baffle in the dust collector. Every time I pulled the bag to replace it, the filter was full......so here is my attempt....anyone see anything wrong with it?

Attachments

Discussion starter · #16 ·
Also....i've never been able to get my blast gate at the dust collector to attach as nothing fit over it and over the dust collector port....so its always been duct taped which had to be redone every few weeks when it fell off. Well I bought a 4" adapter that said it would fit.......However it of course didn't. Well I got to looking at it, and grabbed my torch......rolled it across the floor heating it up....and then quickly shoved it on. As it cooled down it fit like a glove!! So to anyone else that can't get dust collector fittings to work, try it. It worked like a charm!!

Attachments

Discussion starter · #33 ·
Sleeper said:
Well I was going to try operating it outside without the filter bag and see if I can see a difference, but the MDF baffle split in half and I’m going to have to make another one out of plywood or try to glue the MDF back together. I spent about as much time as I can today, but maybe I’ll try again after dinner.
As the back pressure would be different with the top bag off, I don't believe that would be an effective method of testing.

Discussion starter · #35 ·
Not necessarily....with no top bag the air will achieve faster velocity in the separator, which may help it drop out faster.

Discussion starter · #37 ·
Fair enough........we can agree to disagree.....What i'm saying is that with a top bag or filter on it......your air velocity will slow down some, thus affecting the results. But the only way to really prove it is to either run some real world tests.....or a simulation, of which I no longer have access to any software that will run that......so we're stuck with tests and results......

EITHER way.....a baffle will be better than no baffle

Discussion starter · #39 ·
I understand what your saying, and I was also debating the effectiveness of the 2 inch ring you were talking about installing. Anyhow....glad it's working for you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.