Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got tired of these crapy lowes chisels
I order a 4 pack set, Narex® Classic Bevel-Edge Chisels
1/4, 1/2, 3/4, 1 set
I should be set for long time .

·
Registered
327 Posts
I'd love for you to post your findings after you have used them for a while. There are (at least) two grades of Narex chisels. Be sure to state which one you have when you do your post.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
396 Posts
I've been using this set:

http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/page.aspx?p=67707&cat=1,41504

for about six months and I've been very happy with the chisels. Took a bit of work to flatten the backs, but once that's out of the way they take and hold an edge very well. For the price they are hard to beat.
I also have that set. Total agreement here, took an entire night in the shop to get the backs flat and then sharpened. That was just after the holidays no problems with mine so far, they are still razor sharp.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
As I use skews a lot in carving, I ordered a pair of 1/2" from LV. Great steel, holding an edge. But, 25 degrees is a big angle to push in wood. So ground them back to 20 degrees. Wonderful.
How wonderful? Within a week, I ordered a second pair.
IMHO, they are really excellent value for the money.

RogerinColorado: If you are going to describe 2 grades of Narex chisels, how about spelling out the secrets of Narex for the rest of us, huh? Saying that there are two grades is almost a bag of smoke at the moment.

·
crosseyed & dyslexic
589 Posts
I just love this site! :yes: Here I was sitting in my truck today at lunch thinking of this very subject. I have some ok chisels, nothing matched, some are hand me downs from my father.
Lo and behold I come across this thread :thumbsup: Needless to say thanks to you fellas I just ordered that 10 piece set from LV
Now I just have to explain how I can't fix that leaky faucet without these chisels! I have my work cut out for me.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
327 Posts
As I use skews a lot in carving, I ordered a pair of 1/2" from LV. Great steel, holding an edge. But, 25 degrees is a big angle to push in wood. So ground them back to 20 degrees. Wonderful.
How wonderful? Within a week, I ordered a second pair.
IMHO, they are really excellent value for the money.

RogerinColorado: If you are going to describe 2 grades of Narex chisels, how about spelling out the secrets of Narex for the rest of us, huh? Saying that there are two grades is almost a bag of smoke at the moment.
Highland woodworking sells at least two grades. http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/narex-premium-bench-chisel-set-with-leather-tool-roll.aspxghland One is "standard" one is "premium". One review I read gave better marks to the "standard grade" If someone is reporting happiness (or unhappiness), I'd like to know which one he is discussing. From the pics in the link, it looks like there may be a new and different set to consider. That doesn't alter my request about wanting to know which set is being evaluated. If someone is raving about their new Chevy, I'd like to know if the discussion is about an Impala or if its about a Corvette.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Thanks, R.I.C. Looked at them just now. Chrome/Manganese steel, slight difference in RC hardness.

There must be a third sort! I bought 2 pairs of Narex 1/2" skews from Lee Valley. Cr/Mn steel, 25 degrees. The handle profiles are flattened ovals and a dark brown/gray finish (stain?). They don't look like anything in your link.
Pair #1 was reground to 20 degrees for wood carving. Absolutely marvelous carving tools for their edge holding character. Shaping, large V-groove design elements and so on. So, I odered pair #2.
I jointed one of those and made a double-bevel, 20 degree, carver's 1/2" stop chisel which I needed.
Not too sure what will become of the other one, but sure is nice to have a really good piece of steel in stock when I solve that puzzle.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts