Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My old 6 in pneumatic sander needs replaced, I want electric with dust collection. 5 inch is OK, but what is with this velcro hook and loop sanding disk option? Aren't they expensive? Please suggest a brand and model for home shop use, any price.

· Administrator
David - Machinist in wood
6,621 Posts
I've used a DeWalt ROS for years with no real issue. I replaced the Velcro pad once but that was easy, seems like it was about $12 and took all of five minutes to change.

· The Nut in the Cellar
2,000 Posts
I've been using a Bosch 3725DVS ROS for close to 20 years now. It has excellent dust collection via the 16' Bosch crush prof hose I bought with it. I use a ShopVac for dust collection with CleanStream filters. The hose works with all of my other sanders too and is really flexible. The sander has a hook and loop pad and it works great. It is easily replaceable with a single screw and I'm on the second replacement pad. The sander is well balanced, vibration free, and you can literally guide it with the cord. If it ever becomes irreparable, I'd buy another one. I am a hobbyist wood worker, but this machine is production shop capable.

Reactions: Scurvy

· Registered
1,743 Posts
My dewalt ROS is 20 years old and works fine. I don't spend hours sanding at one go unless I'm doing a ton of cabinets and drawers.

There are definitely more expensive sanders and they are doubtless much better, but the cheap model has suited my needs fine to date.

· Registered
56 Posts
I have the Dewalt ROS and have used it for around 5 years and I thought I had a decent sander until I used a friends 3M Xtract which is new to the market.
I had wanted to hate it so I could say “why would you pay $400 for a sander. I actually enjoyed using it and realized how much the Dewalt vibrates in your hand leaving you with a tingly feeling in your hand after using it for long intervals. It was extremely comfortable in my hand and I didn’t have to switch hands every 5 mins or so. I felt like it sanded much quicker also but that might just be in my head.
If you are going to be sanding a lot or have large items to sand then I’d consider the 3M, it is pricey and I don’t personally think it’s worth that price tag but it did make sanding a little more pleasurable.
I will stick with my Dewalt and pretend I never used the 3M so I don’t get tempted to “waste” $400 🤦‍♂️

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the quick informational responses. I am a retired hobbiest, keeping occupied at my own easy pace. I will proceed with purchasing the Dewalt. I have built up a boatload of self adhesive 6 inch, no hole, sandpaper over the years. I have several hundred disks that wont suit the new Dewalt.😕

· Registered
Cabinetmaker
258 Posts
I have Craftsman and Black & Decker ROS models, 5 ", Hook/Loop velcro. For 10 years, I've use them all of the time and they all still work well (with maybe 2 brush changes with for each in that time frame -- but we're talking a cabinet business with extended use).

I once tried a Harbor Freight model (Central Pneumatic). It worked for a month and "fizzled". Returned it and got my money back. Don't waste your money.
My recent purchase was a DeWalt ROS, Model DWE-6423, 5", variable speed (nice), Hook/Loop, w/ vac hose -- and it is outstanding. No issues yet, after 1 month usage.

If you decide on any Hook & Loop sander with alignment holes, please read my forum post on 8/17/2022 (if not already). It's about an easy install tip for aligning the holes.

Here's a screen shot of that post:

Rectangle Font Screenshot Software Web page

- Bob

· Registered
Cabinetmaker
258 Posts
Thanks for all the quick informational responses. I am a retired hobbiest, keeping occupied at my own easy pace. I will proceed with purchasing the Dewalt. I have built up a boatload of self adhesive 6 inch, no hole, sandpaper over the years. I have several hundred disks that wont suit the new Dewalt.😕
Take Half Fast Eddie's suggestion on buying a pad.
I found a supplier that has the items for DeWalt's specific models -- selling for around $25.

Here's the direct link: Sander Pad (5-Inch) [151662-00] for Power Tools | eReplacement Parts

- Bob

· Registered
1,661 Posts
My old 6 in pneumatic sander needs replaced, I want electric with dust collection. 5 inch is OK, but what is with this velcro hook and loop sanding disk option? Aren't they expensive? Please suggest a brand and model for home shop use, any price.
Most of the sanders are decent, Dewalt, Bosch. I use a Makita. What made a big difference for me years ago was switching from sandpaper to Mirka Abranet. Lasts long, consistent grit, no worries of contamination from some sandpapers. I still use sandpaper for hand and block sanding. The Abranet is not cheap, but will last you far longer than any paper will.

· Registered
371 Posts
My first choice would be the Festool ETS EC 150/3 EQ 6”.

Having used both the Mirka and 3M sanders, I’m not a big fan of paddle actuated sanders such as the Mirka Deros or 3M Xtract when working with them for extended durations due to the ergonomics being somewhat uncomfortable and often downright painful by not being able to adjust the way they’re gripped to any great degree.

· Registered
Termite
9,499 Posts
I'm still using PC 332-333 sanders. If I had to buy another it would be the Dewalt 5",

Good sanders come with a high cost. The Dewalt is still a good cheap option for the home shop.

Why at pawnshops I'm always looking for these three sanders at a good cost.

· Registered
2,065 Posts
the kids gave me a cordless milwaukee m18 sander
it's a great sander, but i can't recommend it for the terrible dust collection on it
big old box hanging there with a pleated air filter in it, it doesn't suck in a bad way

1 - 20 of 29 Posts