Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Dewalt 421 orbital sander and I'm not sure if it's working properly. Holding it off the work, I turn it on and the orbital function seems fine, but the rotating of the sanding disk is my concern. When held in the air, the sanding pad spins a quite a high rpm and if the sander is not placed on the work perfectly flat, a gouge will occur. Once the sander is on the work, the rotation of the pad slows way down where it is barely rotating, but the orbital part is orbiting away. I don't remember if this is how it always worked or if the rotator clutch (???) is slipping. Are you supposed to turn the sander on with the pad in contact with the work to avoid the gouges that can occur from the high speed spinning pad. Your help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
273 Posts
With my ridgid it's just the opposite, it doesn't spin that much in the air but when you put it flat on the wood it spins.:eek: :huh: :blink:

·
Registered
419 Posts
Do Not Energize

your DAROS (dual action random orbit sander) in an unloaded condition. And, more importantly, as you should have already learned, do not energize it in mid air and then make contact with any piece of wood you hope to remain presentable. Most DAROS's will achieve a very high RPM of non orbital spin in an unloaded condition. Not the type of abrasive action you want to introduce to your wood. In normal operation, the orbits are negligible and the rotation appears very slow. That is as it should be so follow your own intuition on this. Place the tool on the wood and then pour on the juice.

Ed

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I too have the Dewalt sanders and there is a part that is wore out on yours. I've already had to replace mine once and they need it replaced again. As mentioned you do not want to start the sander off of the work peice but with the part replaced and in working order it will not develop high rpm spin speed when started off of the work piece.

I don't remember the name of the part but go to your service center and tell them what it's doing and they should give you the part you need. Now that I think about it when I bought my sander new it came with this part as an extra piece in the box. It's a rubber like ring that makes contact with the pad to keep a tight seal and keep the dust removal part work more effeciently.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I appreciate the info guys, will try to find a Dewalt Service Center and get that new part. Again, thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts