Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All!

I am new to the forum and to restoring furniture! I am very or eager to learn skills and work on restoration projects. I found two dressers on the side of the road that were presumably going to be chucked in the landfill the next day considering it was trash day. I want to restore or at the least fix up these dressers. I know I need to strip them and sand them but I am not sure if the veneer can take an orbital sander. Could you please take a look and let me know if you think I could use a sander and whether or not you think this is laminate or wood veneer? The stain is definitely flaking off as I've already done a once over with some vinegar and a rag. The two pieces are old--I'm estimating from the 1950's given the finish and the fact that this is Rway furniture, which I read stopped manufacturing for homes in 1965. Any insight is appreciated! Thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
27,306 Posts
It would take a closer look than we can get from pictures. If there is enough veneer there you can see you should be able to use an orbital with 180 grit paper on it. Just remember it's already been sanded once so don't do any more sanding than you have to and watch it close as you are doing it. You can usually see the veneer getting thin before you go through it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts