Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't even used maybe 15 disks with my R2601 5 inch orbital and the damn switch died =\

While I deal with Rigid's customer service department I need another sander to go forward with my project. Is it worth it to get another R2601 or is there another brand 5 inch that is really worth looking into?

·
Registered
914 Posts
I've also had great luck with the Porter Cables (my 5" is over 20 years old and the only thing I have done is replace the drive belts twice for a cost of about 5 bucks).

·
Registered
212 Posts
I haven't even used maybe 15 disks with my R2601 5 inch orbital and the damn switch died =\

While I deal with Rigid's customer service department I need another sander to go forward with my project. Is it worth it to get another R2601 or is there another brand 5 inch that is really worth looking into?
I just got a Bosch ROS20VSC from Lowes for $69 only had it for a week or so, and I have to say I am pretty impressed with it. I had an old jitterbug and the dust was killing me, so I went and picked this up. The dust collection is great, practically no dust at all. Don't even bother with my mask anymore.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I've had a DeWalt for about 10 years. Only complaint is the dust port is non standard size so the vacuum won't hook up to it.

·
(clever wood pun here)
979 Posts
I have a Milwaukee 5" 6021-21 that I got on a steal (new) from CPO. It is variable speed, soft start, has a durable pad, effective dust collection with shop vac, and dust-sealed power switch--but then so do most of the other sanders in this class.

I am a hobbyist, but have put it through its paces in the last several months and am pleased. I can't speak to how it stacks up against the others, but I know that I purchased it instead of the R2601 because it was a little better reviewed (at the time) and a little less money.

·
Super Moderator
4,415 Posts
I used the DeWalt for decades. I'd wear them out in about a year. But I used them for my business. The last one I got lasted for more than 2 years, just replacing the pad. Now I have a Ceros and wouldn't look back.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
The porter cable or dewalt low profile. Same unit regardless of brand....fastest sander I've ever used. I would buy another if mine died today.

·
7,222 Posts
The porter cable or dewalt low profile. Same unit regardless of brand....fastest sander I've ever used. I would buy another if mine died today.
+1, I have the PC 390 for a few years. I also would purchase another if this one died. Easy to use one handed, not loud, stops relatively fast and good dust collection. Hook this up to a shop vac and you will have almost no dust.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I might have shot myself in the foot but I wanted to move forward with the project.... now!

I bought a refurbished R2601 from a local store for 27$ while I wait to see how the Ridgid customer service deals with my complaint.

It will be sufficient for the job but it significantly pulls itself around and wants to walk all over the work piece with any amount of guidance I give it.

I guess I can't complain too much for 27$ because if Ridgid customer service sucks I can just gut the two and put the switch / speed control (which ever went out in my new/good one) and make a functional good one until it breaks... again

1 - 12 of 12 Posts