Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Ray Waldo
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have the opportunity to purchase a Toolkraft 452/453 with the floor stand, and as I am quite unfamiliar with the machine, I thought I would ask here for opinions. In pictures it looks fine, but I wondered what I should look for, or if I should even look at all? I see its primary use being as a drill press, as that's what I need, but am I better off spending the money on a new drill press, and avoid this all-in-wonder, or would it be a strong addition?

Thanks!

Ray~

·
Registered
1 Posts
>Have the opportunity to purchase a
>Toolkraft 452/453 with the floor stand...

I have the bench top version of this drill press. Same head, shorter column. I have had it for about 8 yrs. It's a decent machine. Variable speed DC motor control and very long six inch travel to the quill. The head rotates and has a high-speed router collet on the top that you can turn over for routing. I have done that a few times and it is OK for some things but a bit scary for most with the workpiece between the small table and the cutter. As a drill press it's pretty good and probably on par with higher-end Craftsman presses of the same vintage. The 6" travel is a plus and mine has been pretty stable after some initial adjustment. The entire motor assembly rides up/down on sort of small dovetail ways. The table is pretty true but there is no lift so you have to muscle it into place. I don't find that I move it too often.

Toolkraft is still in business for parts and when I got this machine I was able to get a manual, spare brush set, a replacement feed handle, and a mortising chisel attachment. Toolkraft still has a web site and you may still be able to get parts for this machine.
http://www.toolkraft.com/

I may sell mine soon because I just got a Bridgeport mill and this will be redundant and probably get little use.

DHP
Euclid, OH

1 - 2 of 2 Posts