Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into getting started turning some bowls. Been watching videos and reading up a bit and after a bit more research I'll be taking the plunge. Does anyone have an opinion about the Benjamin's best HSS tools from penn state. They seem to be much cheaper than many brands and the reviews on the site are good. Looking for some feedback from the turning junkies.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
I'm looking into getting started turning some bowls. Been watching videos and reading up a bit and after a bit more research I'll be taking the plunge. Does anyone have an opinion about the Benjamin's best HSS tools from penn state. They seem to be much cheaper than many brands and the reviews on the site are good. Looking for some feedback from the turning junkies.
I've got 3 bowl gouges, one spindle gouge, and 5 scrapers from PennState.

No question in my mind that Doug Thompson's tools are better steel (hold an edge longer, sharpen faster, etc.) but I have no complaints about the Benjamin's Best tools that I own.

They are good value, IMO.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Absolutely. Especially as a beginner, Penn State tools are fine. I still have my PS scrapers, roughing gouge, and a (somewhat short) bowl gouge or two. When you get comfortable with sharpening and your technique, get Doug Thompson tools.

·
Registered
557 Posts
My one and only bowl gouge is from PSI and it works fine. I have no problem touching up the edge as needed. I have their 4 jaw utility chuck too and it works for what I am doing at less than a 3rd what a Nova costs.

I wouldn't turn down a Nova but I can't afford one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts