Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a burning sensation in my chest numerous times on Sunday 9 days ago and finally drove myself to the ER very late that night --- it seemed serious enough to need attention, but not enough to need my wife to drive me at midnight when she had to be up the next day. I was pretty sure I was having something like acid reflux in my esophagus.

Long story short, less than 24 hours later I had been tested and then transferred to a highly regarded hospital in Syracuse, an hour away, and tested much more extensively and was quickly given open heart surgery / triple bypass. Not really something I'd recommend anyone taking up as a hobby (woodworking is definitely more enjoyable) but not the worst experience of my life.

Yesterday I got out of the hospital and was transferred directly to a heart surgery rehab facility back in Cortland a mile from my house.

My wife tells me I have gotten several boxes of wood in the mail and part of my reason for posting this is to thank the various people who sent them. I keep forgetting to ask her for the return addresses so I don't know WHO exactly to thank, but I'll get to that when I get out. I have always been very grateful to all those of you who have contributed wood to the site, helping me make it the best I can for all of us.

I just finished my full physical evaluation here at the rehab place about an hour ago and I'm happy to report that my competitive nature won out over my physical limitations (but without endangering my chest wound). I'm clearly back to being full of piss and vinegar, although admittedly a little less of each than my normal self. Strength, particularly is still low and there are numerous restrictions placed on me (e.g. I'm forbidden to lift more than 5 lbs for the next 2 months, so no picking up boxes of wood for a while).

Paul

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
Sorry to hear about your need for surgery, and having to go through getting there by yourself. Follow your therapy recommendations, and get better fast. Most of my friends have had a similar procedure. Don't know what the problem is...maybe it's in the cereal.

I'm likely next, as I'm already on meds. But, the way I look at it, I've done my share in life, and now it's just borrowed time. As we get older, we forget that our minds can stay young, but our bodies are on their own schedule.

So, you have my positive thoughts, and hope you aren't in much discomfort. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Glad you went to the hospital and had the procedure you needed. I think the most important thing I did afterwards (I had 5)was the cardio rehab. I just felt great after going through the program and still do. I'll keep you in my thoughts, get strong soon.

·
7,222 Posts
Wow, quite a shock. Happens more than we are aware. I have a 25 year old nephew who suffered a stroke a few weeks ago, almost 2 years after a heart attack.

Best wishes for speedy recovery. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
13,541 Posts
HOPE your recovery goes well. Been there and done that plus they replaced the aortic valve while they were in there.

The main recovery thingis to religiously follow the exercise PT routine they put you on. The hardest thing for me was not sleeping on my side for 6 weeks.

George

·
Registered
243 Posts
Ditto, on wishing you well on your recovery!! And congrats for having the sense to go to the hospital, a lot of us guys aren't that smart!

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Geez Paul, glad to hear you are doing good. Glad you listened to your body and went in. I hope everything heals up well and you don't have any future issues. Good luck my friend.

·
Alan Sweet
163 Posts
Thank God you are OK.

I had something related in 2009 and was down for about 2 months.

After rehab, everything was much much better.

More energy, better sleep, better appetite, I did have to watch my blood pressure and weight.

But life will be much better. I am glad you are doing so well when the alternatives were not that good.

Take care of your self, and in 2 months start makin' shavin's

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.