Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Just getting started
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is probably a novice question, but I can't wrap my head around it. I am cutting 45 degree bevel joints to make a box. I made a nifty jig for repeat cuts. When I wrap my box together using the masking tape method, the outside edges have a gap.

Does this mean my cuts are greater than or less than 45 degrees?

I am probably going to kick myself when someone answers, but I just can't get straight in my head.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
305 Posts
This is probably a novice question, but I can't wrap my head around it. I am cutting 45 degree bevel joints to make a box. I made a nifty jig for repeat cuts. When I wrap my box together using the masking tape method, the outside edges have a gap.

I am probably going to kick myself when someone answers, but I just can't get straight in my head.

Thanks in advance
It can get confusing talking about this, depending on whether you measure the angle from vertical or horizontal as zero. You need to move your blade whichever way you need to to get a "pointier" angle on the piece.

·
Just getting started
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The jig is really nothing more than a crosscut sled with a bevel cut. I am using a Dewalt 745. I putting the blade at 45 not the jig. I am using a wixey digital angle gauge to set the angle. The wixey is new to me and perhaps the problem.

I am doing something in small production. At first I was just using the saw and fence, no jig. I made the jig because I was having trouble keeping the wood along the fence as I ran it through. I figured the jig would take care of that. And it does seem to get me nice straight edges. When I fold the box up it comes together nicely, whereas before I was often off because I cut the edges angled. But on my first run through of 14 boxes that I cut, they all have edges that open, thus the question. I was not having this problem before, but I don't see how it could be the jig. I assume I just didn't get my angle right.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've had the same problem with my wixey gauge. I would just use some scraps to fine tune your angles. I don't trust my wixey anymore except for setting my blade at 90.

·
Registered
576 Posts
dcoledc said:

Thanks in advance
Doesn't it depend on whether you have your board to or away from the fence. There are 8 cuts? It should mean that you have cut away more then 360 degrees of wood? I think.? 1/2 a degree on each cut would make a 4 degree gap unless you cut the board in a complimentary way to cancel any error?
It will be interesting to see the replies.

·
Just getting started
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It seems my bevel cuts were too small, less than 45 degrees. So when I wrapped by box up I had to force the ends together, which opened the edges.

The reason my cuts were not right is that I used a hold down which caused the angle to change slightly. To correct I zeroed my wixey out with the wood and the hold down in place. Then I angled my blade. It made a .2 degree difference.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Put the Wixey gauge on the shelf. Cut two 45s, put them together and check with a good 90 degree square. Opposing sides must be exactly the same length.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts