Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Splinter Cushion
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to just make chips today to practice handling tools and making cuts. Found some logs way out back and started cutting them. I thought they were junk, but it turns out that they are walnut! :eek: I cut a few pieces off with the chainsaw and screwed them to my faceplate to round them out and clean them up a bit, then put the rounded blanks aside to dry - I guess they're still wet from rain. I was having a great time for a while, then got a little stupid and put a piece that was way too long on there. I was smart enough to pull the tailstock up to it and tighten the center up, but it was way out of balance and flew out anyhow. Luckily, no one was around to see it ... I mean... to get hurt by it. :shifty:

It bent the crap out of my faceplate, though. It looks like the lathe is ok. There is a small dent in my garage door, too. Funny, because the door was open at the time, so the log flew up and hit it.

I hope I got the dumb out of my system for a while!

Anybody want to speak up for their favorite faceplate? It seems I'll be in the market for one soon. :huh:

·
Registered
660 Posts
oop's

Sorry to here about the mishap.you were smart to use the tail stock,I use it anytime I can,as it can keep the piece from wackin you in the noggin.Sure glad you wasn't hurt.Just be carefull.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Dano, Sounds like the speed was too high. I'm glad no one was hurt. The tools can be replaced, most body parts can't though. As far as the face plate goes, just find one that has the same threads as the old one. Most places sell them, Woodcraft, Penn State, Craft Supplies, its just a matter of finding the right one.

·
Registered
58 Posts
faceplates.....

For faceplates take a peek at Grizzley....the have several to choose from......you can make your own too with a nut that fits the shaft, some good plywood and a gob of epoxy......I've made several so I can switch around to let finishes dry and move to another masterpiece....(ha)......

·
Registered
150 Posts
Dont know about a faceplates but, ACME garage door repair service is a good company.:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts