Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings: I am new to the forum and live in Loveland OH, a suburb of Cincinnati. I am reetering the woodworking world after a five year absence.

I am curious if you have a single, "one stop" shopping site for your woodworking supplies and small tools, etc. I just received the latest Grizzly Catalog and was amazed to see all that they carry (I own a Grizzley 10" cabinet saw, belt and disc stand, 6" jointer, and small bandsaw (all from the middle 90s) and have been happy with all of them.)

I am unsure of the quality of all of the items and suspect that some are ok, some are good, and probably some are not so good. Hard to tell ahead of time however, which is which.

One thing that is very different from the time I was last active in woodworking is the maturity of the internet and the presence of forums such as this one. Never before could you get advice and answers from "around the world" so to speak.

Any comments on Grizzly as such a "one-stop" shopping place, or on another that you use.

Thanks for any comments,
Ken

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
One thing that is very different from the time I was last active in woodworking is the maturity of the internet and the presence of forums such as this one. Never before could you get advice and answers from "around the world" so to speak.
I have no comments on Grizzly in particular. But you bring up a very good point the internet is a great tool for learning, and forums like this make it fun because of the friendly discourse. Not just reading a book on how to do something, or worse yet trial and error. We can all learn from each other mistakes and better our craft by sharing the tricks we have learned along the way.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, no one wants to comment about supply sites, and whether you get you misc stuff at a single site?

Why is that?

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
So, no one wants to comment about supply sites, and whether you get you misc stuff at a single site?

Why is that?
I did not comment because I don't think there is a one stop shop. Grizzly has a great catalog, I have bought stuff there...but not everything.

Do you work for Grizzly ? :laughing:

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,674 Posts
The internet is a one-stop shopping place to many, such as myself. I have a folder in my favorites titled "WWingSuppliers" that has dozens of places from which I buy. I have accounts set up at most of them. It is only a matter of a few clicks to buy something I need.

Although I have purchased some Grizzly products in the past and am not "anti" Grizzly, they are never my first choice.

There is not, nor will there ever be, a one-stop place for woodworkers. At least, I pray there never will be. I like diversity, choice, and detsest monopolies and cornered markets.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do I work for Grizzley? LOL.

The purpose for the question has to do with minimization of shipping charges for small items. If I buy 2 drawer slides from one site, a package of brass screws from another, a new set of safety lenses which I need from a third, etc., then I am needlessly racking up shipping charges from each site. Buy all of the needed items from one site and save some $$ on shipping. That was the primary motivation for the general question I posed.

I mentioned that I was just getting back into woodworking and was impressed with the breadth of items in the Grizzley catalog. I also just bought some stuff from Woodcraft. I can (and probably will experiment) and after numerous purchases, form some opinion about the generally acceptable quality of _________ whatever site I choose, maybe several. I thought I would accelerate the learning by asking about experience here. Looks like I will have to try the "buy it and see" approach.

Thanks for the comments.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Have bought the rare item from Grizzly, but mostly buy from Rockler or Woodwokers Supply in Albuquerque...also from Lowes for the odd item.
Woodhaven and Router Bits on the Web are also in there...just can;t
limit yourself to one or two sources...shipping is seldom materila anyways...I am more focused on getting what I want and need and not on just the cost of shipping...Also am looking for a reasonable price but am not a bottom feeder looking for the cheapest, per se.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Off the top of my head I'd have to think a city the size of Cinci. would have many options for tool purchases. The BORGs can be good sources for general line type of tools and the price can be good because of the volume factor. But I've generally gotten different major tools from different places. One thing I look at is tool reviews in woodworking magazines as they are usually not tied to one mfr. I don't think it's likely to find one place selling all the top rated tools by type.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts