Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I give it one more year. I've started one poker table since July 2019. If I don't see an increase of woodworking between now and July 21 I'll shut it down and sell it.

That fishing is looking better everyday....

·
where's my table saw?
27,865 Posts
Reading between the lines here ....

I give it one more year. I've started one poker table since July 2019. If I don't see an increase of woodworking between now and July 21 I'll shut it down and sell it.

That fishing is looking better everyday....

So, you are making poker tables as a business? But there are no orders for them? So, you are going to quit, retire and go fishing?
Is this a goal or a plan? :wink:

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I started the poker table for me. No business. But if I cant make myself something ,what's the point.

·
Registered
26,334 Posts
Some projects take a while. I've got one I started more than 30 years ago mainly because someone gave me some oak furniture and this piece was walnut.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Are you not interested? Or you want to finish it.. but can't get up the energy to work at It? I'm confused.

Is there anything specifically you were hoping to get from us members by sharing this? Maybe to hold yourself accountable?

Anyway. I say work at whatever pace you like. Sometimes life gets in the way. If your not interested in it at all anymore.. Well than. Unless you NEED the space... I wouldnt rush to fire sale the shop. Maybe the itch comes back in a year or 2.

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think Steve and big Jim might get it. You've just done it so long. You just Lose interest.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I started the poker table for me. No business. But if I cant make myself something ,what's the point.
I'm a slow woodworker also. I'll go months between doing anything in the shop. My tools show their disgust by rusting, my squared wood bows. Then I get a hair up my a** to get back out there. I have ADD, and sometimes I need to just find small things to complete quickly, and have a tendency to alternate interests for months at a time, and always have a need to learn new things.

I found that compartmentalizing a big job helps me stay on track, as it gives me a bunch of small tasks and I can see my progress through project benchmarks.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
I've built a few things that I had to do repairs on during the build process because they sat in the shop so long that they got damaged by other things banging in to them. I did finally finish them though. Sometimes the creative juices flow stronger than others. Sometime other priorities get in the way...

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If I can get past the poker table maybe I can get over the hump. I started cutting boards for the chip trays several weeks ago and paused thinking I might just cut and glue strips together to save on wood.

·
Super Moderator
4,843 Posts
I do understand letting projects drag on forever. I got the bug to rebuild the engine in our car and was all gung-ho about it. I did get the engine rebuilt and running great but it later spit a code or two and I lost interest fast.

The codes weren't from the rebuild but from the injectors, then the O2 sensors, then an exhaust leak from a manufactured defect manifold and on and on. It has had a code for about three weeks now and I absolutely hate to go back out there.

I really hate to admit this but, 15 years ago I remodeled our living room/kitchen combo. I got everything done except changing out the electrical outlets and new covers. That project has sit there that long and I just hate to get back at it. I know I will, but when I get ready. So I sure know how you feel.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've built a lot of game tables over the years. Point is.... if I can't use the shop to build my own game tables and I'm not doing work for customers. What's the point of the shop? This I'm trying to decide....

·
Registered
Egg Spurt
1,873 Posts
I go in and out from wanting to give up to getting all excited about making things. This past spring and early summer I made about 40-50 cedar planters and was getting a bit burned out from doing the same thing over and over, but the thing that really gets to me are people who contact me wanting this or that. Business gets slow so I'll take it on and about a quarter of the way in they change their minds and cancel. They're not huge projects I feel like I need a contract in hand and a lot I'll go ahead and buy the materials on a limited basis, but I get stuck with half a project nobody else wants. I think from now on I'll have a written contract and if they cancel they buy any and all materials like it or not.. The things I want to make for myself and friends is another story, but I'm not buying someone else's disappointment from now on. I do have quite a bit of cedar sitting around so I may just go ahead and build a bunch and have them ready for spring. Cedar prices right now are low so whatever I sell come spring will be money in my pocket especially if I have enough at once to put in a booth somewhere...I really hate selling though.. Sitting in a booth to me is as exciting as waiting for rust stains in a new toilet bowl.
Thinking about losing money I hit a broken off nail a few days ago and ruined my cross cut blade. See what getting tired does to ya?

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Building commercial and residential cabinets for 30 years I'm sure had helped with being burnt out. I was At one time running the software, layouts and building were easy. I use to run cabinet visions but don't have a key anymore. I still have Ecabinets but my computer is out of date. I was looking for a new computer thinking I might start doing layouts...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts