Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is it..... the LAST Christmas present that I have to make this year....hopefully. I still have to attach the drawer pull. I used Peruvian walnut, padauk, and purpleheart.

Attachments

· Log dog
7,933 Posts
Oh!!!! I likey
That's beautiful. I'm waiting for my new blades to come in so I can do some more. Don't think they'll be that nice though.
What is Peruvian walnut?
Also when you do boxes with multiple species, do you glue them all up as one? Then cut them out?

· Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh!!!! I likey
That's beautiful. I'm waiting for my new blades to come in so I can do some more. Don't think they'll be that nice though.
What is Peruvian walnut?
Also when you do boxes with multiple species, do you glue them all up as one? Then cut them out?
The only thing I know about Peruvian walnut is that it is walnut that comes from Peru. I had never heard of it until I visited Houston Hardwoods and they had a few pieces of it in the "scrap" bin. It looked like it would work ok for BS boxes so I picked it up. It seems very soft compared to other walnuts. It probably has another name.

Yes, I do a glue-up first. I took pics all through this, and I will make this into a build thread if ya'll want it.

· Log dog
7,933 Posts
Sorrowful Jones said:
The only thing I know about Peruvian walnut is that it is walnut that comes from Peru. I had never heard of it until I visited Houston Hardwoods and they had a few pieces of it in the "scrap" bin. It looked like it would work ok for BS boxes so I picked it up. It seems very soft compared to other walnuts. It probably has another name.

Yes, I do a glue-up first. I took pics all through this, and I will make this into a build thread if ya'll want it.
That would be cool. I'm in the process of doing more for gifts, just been wrapped up in other duties. Hopefully I can get some done in time.

· Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bandsaw Box Build

Disclaimer: My way is not the only way and most probably not the best way.

1. I start by gluing up 3/4" pieces of......whatever.
2. I usually take time to make a template in case I want to use the same design again.
3. Draw the outline directly on the workpiece. Some like to draw the design on a piece of paper and rubber cement it to the workpiece. To me, that is just an extra step.
4. Cut out the box shape.

more to come.....

Attachments

· Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
5. Scribe a line approx 1/4" or so along the back.
6. Cut the back off.
7. Draw the outline of the drawer(s).
more..........

Attachments

· Registered
423 Posts
This is a really great thread. Awesome box by the way. I have been so interested in there BS boxes. I was really curious how they were done. I can't wait for more. Id love to try one but first I reckon i'd need to get a bandsaw.... it ain't looking good anytime soon.

· Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
8. Cut out the center, which will become the drawers. In doing this, you will have to decide where your blade point of entry will be. I try to pick a spot which runs with the grain. Look at pic 7. The pencil is pointing to my entry point.
9. Once the center is cut out, glue the entry point back together.
10. Scribe a line (approx 1/4-1/2") on the front and back of the center section.
11.Cut along the lines, front and back.
more coming..........

Attachments

· Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
12. Cut out the drawer(s). In this box I had only one drawer, but two separate compartments.
13. NOW is the time to sand the drawer interiors.
14. Glue the sides of the drawers back on.

Attachments

· Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
15. Use a drum sander, spindle sander or whatever you have to dress up the drawers and sand the inside of the box itself.
16.Glue the back of the box back on.
17 Sand sand sand.
18. Round off the edges.

one more............

Attachments

· Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
19. Make a drawer pull, and glue it on. I use a 1/4" forstner bit and a short piece of 1/4 dowel to attach it.
20. That's it. I didn't cover finishing because that is just a matter of taste.
The design possibilities are only limited by the imagination. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

· No Longer Here, BY CHOICE
2,442 Posts
Very cool!! I like that you glued the entry kerf back up. Many leave them and it gives it an unfinished look IMO. I'm more interested in your blades as well. Id like to make some of these down the road but I currently only own resaw blades.

Reactions: Sorrowful Jones
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.