Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
This Powermatic is a much better buy @ $200 IMO.

The saw you linked to looks like one of the many Taiwanese contractor saws from Mao Shan factory. Bridgewood, Jet, Grizzly, Woodtek, AFF, and many others were basically the same saw with different logos. The fence isn't much to brag about, but the saw isn't a bad buy at $145 if the motor runs strong and is in decent shape. $100 to $125 would make a better buy.:thumbsup:

Here's an older Grizzly:

Jet:

Omega:

Mao Shan:

All look pretty much like this under the hood:

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Check the Appleton Craigslist...two delta unisaws just listed for 225 each. Much better buy...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks!

Appreciate the info and the other links! I saw the Powermatic a week or so ago, but after trying and trying to get in touch with the guy I finally just gave up. I wish I had seen the Deltas earlier, but they're a couple of hours away anyway, not to mention probably more saw than I need right now. I checked out the Omega earlier this afternoon and ended up buying it for $125. It's solid, runs fairly smooth, and is the right size for my current shop. I know it's not the best saw out there, but I figured for that kind of money I can use it for a few years (until I move), then sell it off and buy another saw if this whole woodworking thing sucks me in.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
That should work out pretty well for you. Get it aligned and running true, and put a decent blade on it.

blade bargains

You can always upgrade the fence later on if the saw is working out nicely for you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts