Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
New-Charlotte NC Jan'13
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an older model craftsman drill press. approx manufacture in the mid 70's. it does not have the crank height adjustment like most models of today. does anyone know if there is a modification out there that would add a crank to this model?

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
On mine I mounted a pulley on top of the tube and a rope attached to the table, close to the tube, runs up over the pulley, and down the tube, where it is attached to a piece of exhaust tube, filled with lead. (about 30 #'s) I makes raising or lowering easier.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I found a trailer jack at Harbor Freight for under $20, removed the wheel and mounted it upside down to the post. Since the crank is low you have to crouch down to raise/lower but it works surprisingly well considering how stupid it probably seems. This is for a floor standing drill press, just to be clear.

·
New-Charlotte NC Jan'13
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you pirate and Matt. I think I might try the pulley and weight
" route ".

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I found a trailer jack at Harbor Freight for under $20, removed the wheel and mounted it upside down to the post. Since the crank is low you have to crouch down to raise/lower but it works surprisingly well considering how stupid it probably seems. This is for a floor standing drill press, just to be clear.
Pictures? ;)

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have an older model craftsman drill press. approx manufacture in the mid 70's. it does not have the crank height adjustment like most models of today. does anyone know if there is a modification out there that would add a crank to this model?
Before you get pulleys,depleted uranium, trailer jacks and a team of llamas, :eek:measure the tube.A cheap table-crank-gear setup should be available from some of the "egg roll" press producers at a cheapish price.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Before you get pulleys,depleted uranium, trailer jacks and a team of llamas, :eek:measure the tube.A cheap table-crank-gear setup should be available from some of the "egg roll" press producers at a cheapish price.
What are these things? I can't picture it but it was probably something I wanted when I found the trailer jack.

·
Registered
909 Posts
He's suggesting buying the 'real' table and crank parts for a different Chinese/Taiwan-made drill press with the same tube size, which would then retrofit the existing press.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
I kike the idea of the jack, but my back wouldn't like bending over to crank it.
Here is a pic of the pulley mount. It was a lets see if it works job, that I never refined. I used a pulley from a home gym, someone was throwing out.
I would keep the dp, if it's the same model as mine. It's a great dp.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts