Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
18 TH. Century Furniture
26 Posts
Molding Plane

That appears to be a plane made for making the round nosing on stair treads.

David Turner
Plymouth, MI.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Well what ever its it aint no bullnose,bullnose planes have the iron right up front so you can work right into a corner.This plane has two irons offset so thats like having them on a skew so that means its meant to work ,and hog off material.Just use it you`ll see what profile comes out.

·
7,222 Posts
Well what ever its it aint no bullnose,bullnose planes have the iron right up front so you can work right into a corner.
Yes, my brain fart. I was thinking about the router bit. A half round profile is commonly called bull nose.

I think David Turner may be closest, this does look to make a half round profile and may be intended for stair treads.

·
7,222 Posts
How old do you guys figure this is? Late 1800's?
This could be newer than you expected. These planes were made in the 1900's. Not practical to date. My planes may be like yours, no marking to identify the maker, hence no way to attempt a date.

Moulding planes were made in the 1900's. I would not be surprised if someone is still making these in present times.

These planes may have monetary value if they can be linked to a well known plane maker. The vast majority cannot be identified, so have value to the present owner mostly for sentimental reasons.

A recent thread on these planes mentioned they sell for about $5 at auction, when they have no link to a well know craftsman.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts