Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my grad dad left me this old saw when he passed away this year...all the parts are there and I have most of the moving parts moving again...just wondering if it really is worth restoring......oh and...what does that big knob do on the front of the arm?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
its a 40 year old craftsman.......thanks for the link!

·
Registered
789 Posts
Made by Emerson Electric for Craftsman for a bunch of years...I have one as old or older....the knob you are referring to tightens the arm on the column. Somewhere, I have an original owners manual for this style of saw.....they were the ultimate saw of their day...we have a nearly new one in the woodshop...gets used for squaring rough sawn lumber..and that is it.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the info......I think I'll keep it just cause it was my grand dad's.....kinda fun to make old stuff work again!

·
Registered
801 Posts
I've got a OLD 10" craftsman Tablesaw.. I can't sweem to free the tilting screw... it's rusted good... Ideas???? it was in a leakproof brick building But the windows WAY up were broken... so it was Quite humid in there IIRC it was an Old Ice Hose the I told the landlord i was gonna clean it up He said Go ahead.... I took it with me when I moved out...LOL

·
Registered
789 Posts
Take the saw trunion assembly off and remove all the handles, etc, and drop it in a bucket of diesel for a week or so...pull it out and see if it loosens...if you get a wiggle, tap the center of the handwheel with a hammer while turning the handle, and if persistant, you will free it up...but it may take awhile.

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,674 Posts
Jay,

I have one like it too 'cept maybe not quite as old. Never gets used. I can't find anything it can do that the 12" SCMS and the table saw together can't accomplish quicker and safer.

If you want to restore it because of a sentiment that's one thing, but to do it out of a practical standpoint my opinion is spend you time on something more fruitful.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jay,

I have one like it too 'cept maybe not quite as old. Never gets used. I can't find anything it can do that the 12" SCMS and the table saw together can't accomplish quicker and safer.

If you want to restore it because of a sentiment that's one thing, but to do it out of a practical standpoint my opinion is spend you time on something more fruitful.
Thanks for the input.....I've had a lot of folks tell that these things are excellent finger removers:eek: . I may just put it up after I get it all cleaned up. I have a nice compound miter saw and a good table saw that I am used to operating.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I used to have one 'o them....:yes: :yes:

Nothin' like a kickback when you a rippin' a board...Those baby's go flyin' right across the shop....:blink: :blink: :blink:

·
Registered
789 Posts
The only thing I have found them useful for is on siding jobs....my grandfather used one all the time in his woodshop, and the attachments Craftsman used to put out made them versatile...but like any saw, they can be very dangerous. The new one we have was bought because my buddy Bill wanted it...and all it does is gather dust and square boards from the mill.

I will get one of the old Dewalts some day...a 12 or 14 inch saw, simply because they have great capacity....a 12 inch saw will cut 16 inches, and a 14 will do nearly 18...they have a place, but there are far safer ways to do anything they do, except crosscutting. Of course, if they come out with a SCMS with 20 inches or so capacity, that will be the end of the radial arm saw, IMO.

·
Registered
404 Posts
A 20" SCMS.....That would be one big honkin' saw....:eek: :eek: :icon_cheesygrin: :icon_cheesygrin:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Paint a big red spot about 8 inches in width with the blade path in the middle - I mean, paint it on the bed wherever you're laying the stock.

Frank Klausz showed that in his "dovetail a drawer" video.

Keep your fingers out of the red and you're fine. No guessing about where the blade will go. With a laser line marking the edge of the red on the stock, it'd be even better.

Used one a friend has for a little while - it's a bit older than yours - maybe 10 years older. Never did get kickback from it to see what it's like, but I can imagine it could make a small piece of stock fly.

I have gotten kickback from a 5hp powermatic 66, and I'm still a novice beginner. Half moon curve and all, straight back at me - right below the beltline. I can't imagine the kickback would be a whole lot more vioent than that if you're wearing safety glasses.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I Got A Black & Decker Only Use It At The Sawmill To Rough Cut Boards
I Have Had It Climb Over The Board & Bindup Many Times
Be Carfule

1 - 17 of 17 Posts