Woodworking Talk banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
It looks like white oak to me too. The finish had the grain filled also. Did that come out when you stripped it? I would encourage you to use a filler again with a dark stain.

Al

Friends don't let friends use stamped metal tools sold at clothing stores.

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
Steve Neul said:
Normally oak isn't grain filled but there is no reason you can't do it though. Sherwin Williams makes a good grain filler but it comes in a natural color. They can tint it for you to the color of wood stain you are using.
Oh come on Steve. Oak is wrongly finished without grain filler. While its not used in fine furniture much. When it is it's filled. Staining is dreadful without it.

Al

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
woodnthings said:
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f9/what-chairs-these-39917/

I mixed my own stain from several premixed Min Wax stains. Red Oak and Red Chestnut mostly, if I remember. Fast dry satin poly by Min Wax also as the top coat.
The Murphy Chair company was originally out of Detroit and influenced by Stickley Bros.

A dark Oak finish would not be typical, just my opinion.

Definitely quarter sawn white Oak.
I find most times I stain I need to mix a few together for the shade I want too. I'm not very good a staining either. I just don't do it much.

Al

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.