Woodworking Talk banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28,472 Posts
It's possible it might be white oak, definitely some quarter sawn in it. For what you are doing it doesn't make that much difference. Whether it is red or white oak the two woods will stain an finish the same way. I have a chair at my place right now that has red oak, white oak and ash mixed together. Unless you just looked it over real good you wouldn't know the difference. My guess on the age of your chairs are that they are 1950's. You might google the company and see when they were in business.

·
Registered
28,472 Posts
I'm not sure if the filler came out with stripping.

How do I tell? Never worked with grain filler before, where does a guy get it if indeed I either stripped or sanded the old filler out?

My Google searching to find out company info always ends up with links leading to stuff about Ford and Johnson Co but they don't have much info about any possible name changes, etc.
Normally oak isn't grain filled but there is no reason you can't do it though. Sherwin Williams makes a good grain filler but it comes in a natural color. They can tint it for you to the color of wood stain you are using.

·
Registered
28,472 Posts
The chairs look good. For future reference if you have a stain that is too dark but the right tone you can thin it with solvents and make it lighter. If it were me before you go any further I would try to make a new slat for that one chair that has one missing on the back. I know you don't want to take the chair apart to insert it but you could dowel it into the top rail and put a screw up from the bottom to hold it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.