Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have designed a hutch in the style of older New Mexican furniture that is really so very basic it might be termed crude. I have been given "old growth" fir planks 2 x 10's; and one was 25'6" long. All my dimensional lumber for the hutch is now created and the 3/4 boards were created by quarter sawing them on the bandsaw. I find working with this very old lumber quite interesting.

I note the planks were attached structurally with square nails and I am curious as to if anyone on this forum has any true idea as to how old this wood might be? I know the holes are truly square and not the dimensions of nails used for shoeing horses.

I'd appreciate any true information, as opposed to supposition, I could get regarding this old lumber.

Thank you in advance,

Gene So

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Picture ??????????????????????????

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Pictures of the wood :laughing::laughing: I've seen the nails like that here in Georgia on some old barns put up in the late 1700's an 1800's I believe that the old forgers made them as people required them, also lot of the old barns were pinned with pegs at each joint with Oak and Wal-Nut

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Pictures of the wood :laughing::laughing: I've seen the nails like that here in Georgia on some old barns put up in the late 1700's an 1800's I believe that the old forgers made them as people required them, also lot of the old barns were pinned with pegs at each joint with Oak and Wal-Nut

:laughing: I should have included an explanation with the link. I was trying to provide the OP with a crude estimate of when different types of square nails were used (if he had some to compare). And maybe a reality check that determining the age of old boards will mostly be supposition without much more information.:smile:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts