1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
As a scroll saw... not worth $40. As a motor... your call

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Bernie....why? Much of the old stuff is considered better than the new...so why not the old scroll saws?

·
Rough Sawn Lumber
196 Posts
Blade changes would not be rapid like a new saw but if the throat opening is large enough it will work just fine. Not much vibration from a heavy chunk of metal like that.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I have one just like it- pinless blade. Mine is variable speed and that one you change pulley for 4 spds I think. Worth a lot more for the parts if nothing else- go to ebay and look!!!

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The one thing I was worried about if I did want to actually use it was getting parts. I'll give the guy a call. But, I've had pretty bad luck with cl lately.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Is that really a pinless? If it is pinless, then maybe it is worth $40. It looked like it wants pin blades... Sorry for my misguided response. It does look solid and heavy - but looks like it wants a pin blade. Looks are deceiving at times. :eek:

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Those old Deltas are a far cry from modern scroll saws, almost useless in comparison, rough cutting, vibrates, just pulls on a spring. Heavier duty old iron can be good quality but just because it's older doesn't mean it's better. Planers and jointers can be good but other equipment lacks the safety devices as well as modern technology. They made plenty of junk in the "old days" too. Sort of like a model T, fun car for shows and parades but you wouldn't want to commute with it on the interstate 65-75 mph everyday.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Pin vs pinless blades - Pinless blades are usually much slimmer then the pin blades, they can be like a wire. Pin blades are generally wider and thicker and have pins on both ends of the blade used to hook and secure the blade to the saw. Pinless blades just get pinched in place. I have a picture of a pin blade, the thing in the center is not part of the blade, just packaging.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Is that really a pinless? If it is pinless, then maybe it is worth $40. It looked like it wants pin blades... Sorry for my misguided response. It does look solid and heavy - but looks like it wants a pin blade. Looks are deceiving at times. :eek:

Bernie I have a 1952 with a variac variable speed 24". It describes in the manual how if you do not have pinless blades to just pull the pins- smooth as glass by the way-definitely not portable. table is off to move.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts