1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How about this unit?

http://nmi.craigslist.org/tls/4328930998.html

From a cabinet maker again.

Any idea of how old this unit is? Seller thinks it is an early 80's saw. Apparently no info tag on the saw base. Are spare parts available for this saw? What should I look for/at and stay away from on this saw?

New Delta motor about a year ago. 220v single phase. The long table is about 6 ft long, both tables and saw make up 10 feet. Tables are 3/4" 7 ply plywood with formica on them. May have one wing, don't know if cast or not.

Not having used a right tilt saw, how does that differ from the left tilt that I am used to? He was trying to explain that the sawdust won't gather under the board against the fence????? Is the right tilt something I can get used to? Reading Knotscott's info on tilt, "left is safer". Because the blade won't contact the fence, or safer for the operator? Can moving the fence to the left of the blade be any better?

The posting says the fence new is worth what the sell price is. Is that true?

Seller commented that the price negotiable. What is a fair price to offer him?

Can riving knife be added to it? Or a guard? I don't use either now, but maybe I should.

If I were to buy a new saw, I would be considering the Grizzly G1023RLX or the Steel City 35975 in cast iron. Would either of these be worth the extra dollars for a new saw with warranty and the guard/riving knife. Any saw is going to need a mobile base. This Delta would be a bit harder with the two legs for the tables, (it might require removing the extra tables to move). Grizzly and Steel City both show mobile bases being available.

Any comments are more than welcome. If you feel the new saw would be the better route, I'll save the headache of looking for a questionable used one. But I know I want something more than the box store versions. 220v single phase is my preference.

Thanks,

Jon
Northern Michigan

·
where's my table saw?
28,579 Posts
I wouldn't

Too much money, right tilt is not user friendly these days, Biesemeyer fence is "cast aluminum" ??? not usually :no: at lastly Delta's customer support is nonexistant.:thumbdown:

Get a new saw with all the newest safety features...riving knife etc. I recommend Grizzly highly, good bang for the buck and good customer service.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Civilian said:
How about this unit? http://nmi.craigslist.org/tls/4328930998.html From a cabinet maker again. Any idea of how old this unit is? Seller thinks it is an early 80's saw. Apparently no info tag on the saw base. Are spare parts available for this saw? What should I look for/at and stay away from on this saw? New Delta motor about a year ago. 220v single phase. The long table is about 6 ft long, both tables and saw make up 10 feet. Tables are 3/4" 7 ply plywood with formica on them. May have one wing, don't know if cast or not. Not having used a right tilt saw, how does that differ from the left tilt that I am used to? He was trying to explain that the sawdust won't gather under the board against the fence????? Is the right tilt something I can get used to? Reading Knotscott's info on tilt, "left is safer". Because the blade won't contact the fence, or safer for the operator? Can moving the fence to the left of the blade be any better? The posting says the fence new is worth what the sell price is. Is that true? Seller commented that the price negotiable. What is a fair price to offer him? Can riving knife be added to it? Or a guard? I don't use either now, but maybe I should. If I were to buy a new saw, I would be considering the Grizzly G1023RLX or the Steel City 35975 in cast iron. Would either of these be worth the extra dollars for a new saw with warranty and the guard/riving knife. Any saw is going to need a mobile base. This Delta would be a bit harder with the two legs for the tables, (it might require removing the extra tables to move). Grizzly and Steel City both show mobile bases being available. Any comments are more than welcome. If you feel the new saw would be the better route, I'll save the headache of looking for a questionable used one. But I know I want something more than the box store versions. 220v single phase is my preference. Thanks, Jon Northern Michigan
It's a good useable saw with likely lots of life left in it....but you'll never have a riving knife on it, and the fence isn't worth 1100 bucks. I just keep asking myself, would I rather have the used saw you post, or one of the new ones you posted. The last two you've posted I'd rather have the new ones for that price.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Civilian said:
How about this unit? http://nmi.craigslist.org/tls/4328930998.html From a cabinet maker again. Any idea of how old this unit is? Seller thinks it is an early 80's saw. Apparently no info tag on the saw base. Are spare parts available for this saw? What should I look for/at and stay away from on this saw? New Delta motor about a year ago. 220v single phase. The long table is about 6 ft long, both tables and saw make up 10 feet. Tables are 3/4" 7 ply plywood with formica on them. May have one wing, don't know if cast or not. Not having used a right tilt saw, how does that differ from the left tilt that I am used to? He was trying to explain that the sawdust won't gather under the board against the fence????? Is the right tilt something I can get used to? Reading Knotscott's info on tilt, "left is safer". Because the blade won't contact the fence, or safer for the operator? Can moving the fence to the left of the blade be any better? The posting says the fence new is worth what the sell price is. Is that true? Seller commented that the price negotiable. What is a fair price to offer him? Can riving knife be added to it? Or a guard? I don't use either now, but maybe I should. If I were to buy a new saw, I would be considering the Grizzly G1023RLX or the Steel City 35975 in cast iron. Would either of these be worth the extra dollars for a new saw with warranty and the guard/riving knife. Any saw is going to need a mobile base. This Delta would be a bit harder with the two legs for the tables, (it might require removing the extra tables to move). Grizzly and Steel City both show mobile bases being available. Any comments are more than welcome. If you feel the new saw would be the better route, I'll save the headache of looking for a questionable used one. But I know I want something more than the box store versions. 220v single phase is my preference. Thanks, Jon Northern Michigan
These older deltas can be awesome! Here's a picture of a refurbishing project I just finished I just love it

Attachments

·
Registered
328 Posts
I have one much like that one. The Biesmeyer is NOT aluminum, but heavy steel. I also have a left tilt table saw, but the right tilt is also useful. I paid between 4 and 5 hundred for the fence several years ago. New motors aren't cheap either.

1100 is more than I would pay. I'd offer 800. I'll see if I can find the picture of mine.

Mine is post #10 in this thread on these Forums: http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f32/delta-unisaw-59825/

It's a really good saw capable of doing precision work, and makes easy work of handling full sized sheets of plywood. I wouldn't trade it for 10 new, lightweight saws, or any Grizzly.

There are several kinds of riving knifes that will work on it. I can't offer any advice on that though.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No wings?

Hawk and Tom Both nice looking saws with cast iron wings. The link I showed does not have any wings attached to the saw. I asked about any and did not get a good confirming answer. Nephew selling the saw for his uncle that left the area.

The more I look at used, the more I think of a new unit with the safeties and warranty and my own problems, not someone else's problems. So I will continue to look.

Thanks for all the comments on the saws I have posted.

Jon
Northern Michigan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts