Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
27,758 Posts
It's very durable but it isn't a very good jointer. I've been using one like that for about 40 years. The rear table isn't adjustable so you have to put the knives in perfect to work. Sometimes that can take hours. The fence won't stay at 90 degrees. You can set it up and use it for a couple of hours and then find it's off a degree or two. I finally took it off and made a homemade fence which I can depend on. It does have enough power for edge jointing. I've jointed miles of red oak on mine. The price is about what they are going for in the Dallas area.

·
where's my table saw?
29,960 Posts
I have an older one

Mine has a fixed outfeed table. It looks like that one has a knob adjustment of the outfeed table...?
I've had it for about 40 years, with no problems except to replace the 2 arbor bearings.
The lack of outfeed table adjustment is not an issue for me, I donno about Steve Ramsey's experience.
Setting the blades is easy once you understand the process.
As far as a reasonable offer $150 tops or $100 bargain. it's very bulletprooof and will serve you well. JMO.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I got one like that for $50. Anything more I would have felt ripped off. The main complaint is that the outfeed table does not have an adjustment. This results in a lot of snipe at the end of a board.

·
where's my table saw?
29,960 Posts
sounds like your blades are set too high

I got one like that for $50. Anything more I would have felt ripped off. The main complaint is that the outfeed table does not have an adjustment. This results in a lot of snipe at the end of a board.
here's a good yideo on set up:

Another good one:

·
Registered
13,301 Posts

My jointer has no adjustable outfeed table. I have no snipe on boards run through that jointer. The secret is even pressure. Do not keep all of the pressure on the right side of the board as the end passes over the blades.
'
Even with an adjustable table you an get snipe with improper technique.

George

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
My jointer has no adjustable outfeed table. I have no snipe on boards run through that jointer. The secret is even pressure. Do not keep all of the pressure on the right side of the board as the end passes over the blades.
'

George
+1. :yes:

·
where's my table saw?
29,960 Posts
even with proper technique...

Even with an adjustable table you an get snipe with improper technique. George
Even with proper technique but with an improperly set up jointer, you will still get snipe....just sayin' :yes:

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
i have what appears to be the exact same model.
wish i had bigger -yes.
wish i had better - yes.
does it work - yes.

like most machines, they require tlc and "tuning" to stay on. mine is "on".

·
Registered
73 Posts
I also have one which is very similar, think mine is a 1977 model. It is in pieces right now, as I have it tore down to replace the bearings. Overall, not bad for a homeowner/woodworker shop. If I was working at it full time, I'd want something with a little more power, and a longer table. I'd say here in Central Illinois, it would bring about $100.

Good Luck in your quest!

·
Registered
590 Posts
I have an older Delta similar in design. It's a little annoying to set the knives without an adjustable outfeed table, so I've been watching CL for a little better model. Although I may buy a new Craftsman or Ridgid.

From what I see around my area, I'd probably hope for about $50-75 for the one I have now.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Well, just to add my 2 cents...I have one that looks very similar to yours and I just replaced the blades. All you have to do is install them level with the outfeed table, took about 15~20 minutes using a metal straight edge. The blades were $5.00 + $2.60 shipping so no need to ever have to use dull blades. I paid $75.00 for mine and you would have to steal it at midnight to get it away from me. Never had any problem with the fence. I do wish it was bigger, sure but if I work within it's limitations it preforms very well. TimPa summed it up very well, GeorgeC's comment is spot on too. I make sure I favor the outfeed side as far as pressure and try to push horizontally from the infeed side. :yes:

·
SS user
2,688 Posts
I'd echo adot45. Mine's a bit older, though. Got mine new in 1974. I use a magnetic gizmo to set the blades. No snipe. Not a great jointer for flattening, but I use the planer and sled for that as most of my jobs require at least a 10" bed.
Never could wrap my head around the adjustable outfeed design. Just seems like one more thing to get out of whack.

·
Registered
4,232 Posts
'

George
George,
The secret is not even pressure. The secret is to have the knives/blades adjusted correctly. If you don't have the blade height on the money, you will get snipe regardless of the pressure applied to the board. That's a fact. >:)

·
Registered
13,301 Posts
George,
The secret is not even pressure. The secret is to have the knives/blades adjusted correctly. If you don't have the blade height on the money, you will get snipe regardless of the pressure applied to the board. That's a fact. >:)
That is true. You really have to pay attention to both. Regardless it has been a good jointer for me for these past 30+ years.

George

1 - 20 of 26 Posts