Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Craftsman 9in Table Saw in addition to my 10” Table saw that I really like and don’t want to give it up. I like it for cutting small pieces because I can get right up and close for precise cuts without stretching out over the whole table.

Anyway, I’ve had this saw for over 30 years and sometime along the way I lost the internal parts to the fence. I’ve been using spring clamps along with a small bar clamp for the past 20 to 25 years and it works well, but is a bit of a hassle to set up and I’d like to get it back to being original.

I’m not sure, but I think something broke leaving the parts loose and eventually lost. I never through stuff away and thing I still have some of the parts mixed up in a box along with a bunch of other stuff. I can’t find a replacement fence and thing I may be able to fabricate new parts to at least make it work. I just need to know what the parts looked like and wondered if anybody here had a 9 in saw. Pictures would be very helpful.

·
The Nut in the Cellar
1,478 Posts
Brings back memories. My FIL had one (and made great stuff with it) and when he passed, none of his sons wanted it. I already had a 10" saw and no room for another, so I gave it to a co-worker who used it for many years to make wooden toys for his grandkids. He eventually wore the arbor bearings out and the saw went to a scrap dealer. Sorry, no help, but thanks for the memory boost.

Reactions: Sleeper

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Brings back memories. My FIL had one (and made great stuff with it) and when he passed, none of his sons wanted it. I already had a 10" saw and no room for another, so I gave it to a co-worker who used it for many years to make wooden toys for his grandkids. He eventually wore the arbor bearings out and the saw went to a scrap dealer. Sorry, no help, but thanks for the memory boost.
My daughter is interested in it because she doesn't have much room and is going to remove the right wing to make it smaller. My daughter is another reason why I'm interested getting the fence to lock down

Anyway, I didn't really expect much by asking but had to give it a chance.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have a Craftsman 9in Table Saw \
Pictures would be very helpful.
A few thoughts:

* A picture of your saw and fence would help

* A model number would help

--- I have one at my other shop, so with your info I could check next time I'm there to see if it is the same as yours

* Do you have the manual or can you find one online? You might be able to figure out the parts from that

I bought mine 2 years ago at an estate sale for $14. It's like new. That's a long shot, but it might be worth looking at estate and garage sales. Find Estate Sales

·
where's my table saw?
31,291 Posts
It's almost "vintage" if not very close.
Does it look like any of these:

Furniture Table Wood Rectangle Wood stain

Table Rectangle Gas Wood Metal

I have some old fence parts from a 10" and maybe they would work? Just shorten up the rod for instance?

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What is the model number of that particular saw? I expect you could find a parts breakdown over on VintageMachinery.org | Welcome
I believe that could help identify any missing or needed parts.
It looks just like those photos you have there. I have a Craftsman 10” fence because I bought a larger fence, but didn’t think to modify it.
Bumper Motor vehicle Font Gas Electric blue

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A few thoughts:

* A picture of your saw and fence would help

* A model number would help

--- I have one at my other shop, so with your info I could check next time I'm there to see if it is the same as yours

* Do you have the manual or can you find one online? You might be able to figure out the parts from that

I bought mine 2 years ago at an estate sale for $14. It's like new. That's a long shot, but it might be worth looking at estate and garage sales. Find Estate Sales
The model number is 113.24110. I’ve had this saw at least 25 years and I didn’t buy it so I don’t have a manual. I can’t even remember who gave this to me now.

I tried to get a copy of the manual on line, but there was something fishy going on because they wanted me to install a program on my computer and the antivirus program was going crazy so I ended that idea.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Anyway, I’m giving up trying to find an original fence and now I’m focusing on modifying the fence I have.

I have several rod sizes and I think I can make a Cam Locking Lever handle, but I don’t know how it fastens to the back of the table. The table just has a flat surface.
Milling Machine tool Gas Wood Bumper
Wood Table Eyewear Automotive exterior Gas
Wood Gas Hardwood Bumper Rectangle
Automotive lighting White Hood Automotive tire Light

·
where's my table saw?
31,291 Posts
A 9" motorized Craftsman table saw 113-24140 manual show this. NOT the same model, but may be helpful?

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A 9" motorized Craftsman table saw 113-24140 manual show this. NOT the same model, but may be helpful?

Searspartsdirect has the correct manual. Look to see how its assembled:
Thanks the Sears link might help. but that other place had popups all over my screen saying critical information was being taking from my computer. Things really went south when I tried to stop the popups until BitDefender jumped in and shut everything down. So for those reading this don't click on the 1st link

·
where's my table saw?
31,291 Posts
Thanks the Sears link might help. but that other place had popups all over my screen saying critical information was being taking from my computer. Things really went south when I tried to stop the popups until BitDefender jumped in and shut everything down. So for those reading this don't click on the 1st link
That's weird, it goes right to the manualslib.com site for me ....????

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's weird, it goes right to the manualslib.com site for me ....????
I'm about to do a full system scan on my computer to see if something is on it. It usually takes a couple of hours for the scan so I don't do it too often.

·
where's my table saw?
31,291 Posts
This is supposed to be a 9" saw with a twist lock fence, not a cam lock:
Wood Gas Table Machine Engineering

That what I have the rod for, a twist lock.

·
Registered
181 Posts
That is different from the one I have. For one thing, mine has a fence rail in the back.

It looks like yours simply clamps to the back edge of the table (squeezes between the front and back). From the info I found, it looks like it might not lock down to the table, meaning you can't put upward pressure on the fence (like using a device that pushes down on the table).

On the plate with the model number, 16 76 in the mfg. no. area means it was made the 16th week of 1976. I think this is it on the back cover of the 1975-76 Sears tool catalog. (Don't be confused by the number, 24114, in the catalog being different from your model number, the number in the catalog is a stock number used for selling in the stores/catalog).

I've included a manual. It is from essentially the same saw as yours but a couple of years older (~1974). Hopefully the exploded view on page 28 will help you.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
That is different from the one I have. For one thing, mine has a fence rail in the back.

It looks like yours simply clamps to the back edge of the table (squeezes between the front and back). From the info I found, it looks like it might not lock down to the table, meaning you can't put upward pressure on the fence (like using a device that pushes down on the table).

On the plate with the model number, 16 76 in the mfg. no. area means it was made the 16th week of 1976. I think this is it on the back cover of the 1975-76 Sears tool catalog. (Don't be confused by the number, 24114, in the catalog being different from your model number, the number in the catalog is a stock number used for selling in the stores/catalog).

I've included a manual. It is from essentially the same saw as yours but a couple of years older (~1974). Hopefully the exploded view on page 28 will help you.
Thanks, I believe this is the exact same one as mine except the fence piece in back is a little different. I wish I could see the actual piece in back to make a replacement. I guess I'll just have make a new design.

Oh I spoke too soon. There is a better drawing on page 28. Thanks again

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I thin I’ll be able get this fence working again now that I know what its supposed to look like. It’s all pretty simple and I’ll be able to make everything I need without a machine shop.

I’ve had this saw for a long time and don’t ever remember it working so I’m thinking now that this might have been the reason someone gave it to me and why I didn’t know what the parts looked like. I’m curious to know why it was taken apart in the first place. if it broke, then I might need to make some changes to prevent that.

Anyway thanks everyone for your efforts on solving this mystery. I'd never been able to do this on my own (y).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts