Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this chair today as a project to work on until Winter is over and I can get back outside. I need some help with the seat. It's design is cool, it's got a name on the bottom of the seat that I can't make out (along with some orange crayon), and it looks to be a laminate that I have no experience with repairing. Quite frankly, I don't think it would hold any weight at all. The rest of the chair has it's own issues, but none that concern me. Any ideas on fixing/replacing the seat would be GREATLY appreciated.

Attachments

·
where's my table saw?
28,591 Posts
don't sit on that

The seat is 1/4" plywood, if my eyes are still working. :eek: It is typical of some old handmade seats. I would get some marine grade or cabinet grade plywood with at least 5 layers and use the old one to duplicate the shape and the hole pattern. :smile:
You might use 3/8" if the chair will be subjected to concentrated loading .... large, broad, distributed loads won't matter.

Reactions: jrd

·
Registered
26,885 Posts
I don't think it is the original seat. Any of that type chairs I've had in my shop the seat was made out of a material closer to masonite. You might remove the seat and use it as a pattern and make a new one out of 1/4" oak plywood or you could repair the existing veneer but I would probably put a fresh piece of veneer over the face side. You could use brad point drill bits to drill the holes.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I have seen more that a few chairs with perforated ply seats such as that one .
I figure that either it is original , or that the ply was a replacement for a pre-woven cane seat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts