Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son purchased an old bandsaw for me for fathers day but I have never seen this model or make and it obviously doesn't have any manuals or any literature attached. Does anyone know what this is and have any additional information? It has a plate identifying it as

Pan Am Machine Tool
Model P503
SN: 897880
Date: 11-1988

Thanks,
Bob Dodds

·
7,222 Posts
My son purchased an old bandsaw for me for fathers day but I have never seen this model or make and it obviously doesn't have any manuals or any literature attached. Does anyone know what this is and have any additional information? It has a plate identifying it as

Pan Am Machine Tool
Model P503
SN: 897880
Date: 11-1988

Thanks,
Bob Dodds
I picture would help get some answers. Sometimes the machine is familiar but has an unusual badge.

·
Registered
26,333 Posts
There is a Pan American Tool company which is still there. I don't know if it's the same company or not. They are primarally engaged in metal working equipment. If your bandsaw runs slower than what normal for woodworking perhaps it is a metal saw.

·
Registered
517 Posts
If your bandsaw runs slower than what normal for woodworking perhaps it is a metal saw.
Out of curiosity, can you cut wood with a metal band saw? Or will you just burn the wood because of the lower speed?

·
Registered
26,333 Posts
Out of curiosity, can you cut wood with a metal band saw? Or will you just burn the wood because of the lower speed?
I have a HF horizontal metal cutting bandsaw. I gave it a try with a piece of oak and it cuts alright. It cuts slow however all I have for the saw is a metal cutting blade which has teeth as fine as a hacksaw. I'm sure it would do much better if it had a 6 tpi blade. You could take a metal cutting bandsaw and change the pulley ratio to speed it up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. The saw is identified as being made in Taiwan so it is probably a "knock-off". It may have been purchased in 1988 from Harbor Freight or equivalent. It runs OK and does cut wood at normal wood cutting speeds.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts