Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Rene'
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In addition to my Newman 500 setup problems, how about a real challenge?

I have a W.B.Mershon band resaw, built in 1893. What is the principle of the mechanical strain. I have the weights but don't know how and where they get applied.

Attachments

·
where's my table saw?
27,895 Posts
It would seem that ...

Any weights associated with that machine would act as a counter balance in a way to increase or maintain an even blade tension.... just a wild guess.

If there is a spring in the sliding mechanism to apply tension, then there must also be a crank to vary it. A close up photo would be of great interest, regardless whether we can solve your problem. :yes: That's quite a machine!

·
where's my table saw?
27,895 Posts
not that I am aware

Is that a quote from Archebald Meglesh? By the way I wanted to post this in a different area on the forum. Do you know how to move it?
Who ever Archebald Meglesh is :blink:... I like him regardless.:smile:

Probably click on the little red "report" red button on the far right side and request a moderator move it to Tools and Machinery section.

·
Rene'
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A thanks is due

Archibald Macleish: "Anything about a man that is a man is his mind; because everything else, can be found in a pig, or a horse."

Thanks for the help. I'm new to the site and having a hard time navigating.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
COOL Saw

·
where's my table saw?
27,895 Posts
time part two

Time: None of us has enough time; but each of us has all there is. James Allen
We can always find time to do it over, but never have enough time to do it right. .... :yes:

:sailor: trouble navigating? :boat:

·
Sawing against the Wind
2,381 Posts
The time to do it right, is NOW....then you don't have to take the time to REGRET and then redo!!!

I've told many clients "...it takes less time to do it RIGHT now, then it does for me to have to take it apart LATER and do it right THEN!!!"

Food for thought!!!

OH YEAH....I like that big saw!!!:thumbsup::yes::yes:

·
Registered
93 Posts
To get this thread back on track, I'd like to see more photos and hear more about the machine. Where did it come from, what was it used for, what are your plans for the machine? Did I mention photos and close ups?

Don

·
Sawing against the Wind
2,381 Posts
No Pics!!! They didn't come through.

I have a old Delta radial arm saw that I'm gonna sell due to it won't fit my shop area. I also have copies of paperwork/liteture. I found a patent showing it as a early 1940's. If interested let me know.

1219131739 web.jpg

1219131741 web.jpg

1 - 15 of 15 Posts