Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are they worth anything running. Guy down the street is selling it and a Delta portable saw.

I had one in the early 80's but got rid of it.

Any worth?

·
Registered
26,674 Posts
I don't know, every machine you acquire takes up space. I have both a 6" and 12" jointer which I use and have been thinking of getting rid of the 6" because of space issues. Probably the only reason I haven't done it already is the 12" jointer runs on 3 phase and I have to go turn on the phase converter before using it. Lot of trouble if you only have one or two small boards to joint.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He's got it sitting outside with a sign on it. I didn't see enough driving buy to see how much. I may take a look later when I can...

I'm thinking $25 I might mess with it and any higher I have no interest...

The small won't require much space. I need it for chairs..
20200302_115159.jpg.c826f1ea9f786b02ba1abfb720bf718d.jpg

·
Registered
86 Posts
He's got it sitting outside with a sign on it. I didn't see enough driving buy to see how much. I may take a look later when I can...

I'm thinking $25 I might mess with it and any higher I have no interest...

The small won't require much space. I need it for chairs..
View attachment 422473
Rebel,

Curious question. I have a couple underneath a work bench that belonged to my father. These are quite old, I believe both are delta's. They have the pulleys on them to be ran off a remote motor. They would be nice to set up and stay adjusted to just take a whisper off when you need to just fine tune something. DO you know what the operating RPM's should be for them?

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not off hand. I would think most small jointers would run the same. You might do a dedicated search on jointer RPM...

·
Smart and Cool
2,014 Posts
Rebel,

Curious question. I have a couple underneath a work bench that belonged to my father. These are quite old, I believe both are delta's. They have the pulleys on them to be ran off a remote motor. They would be nice to set up and stay adjusted to just take a whisper off when you need to just fine tune something. DO you know what the operating RPM's should be for them?
A quick google search will get you the answer.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I started with a 4" jointer. They are fine for edge jointing and is about all I use them for. The main problem is that they are short (at least I have never seen a long one). So, it is difficult to accurately joint long boards.
AFAIK, they should run at about the same rpm as the big ones.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have an old Craftsman 4 inch jointer. As stated the problem is they are toooooo short--only about 12 inch infeed and outfeed. I tried to build table extensions, was a little better but not much. Personally, it is a bigger pain than it is worth, I can get a better edge by using a table saw jig.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I understand it's size. I understand it's operation and it's limits. I was curious if it has a value.

I've been using this for chairs. I can't see a 4" jointer being worse...

But unless the price is right I'm not going to mess with it..
20200225_091346.jpg.30550ff6df12b530e95aa0227e9afae5.jpg

·
Registered
86 Posts
I understand it's size. I understand it's operation and it's limits. I was curious if it has a value.

View attachment 422486
Rebel,
Are you using a while melamine/MDF for the surface of your router table?

I made my router table with 3/4" MDF for the work surface and it is starting to wear a bit. I was thinking about replacing it at some point. I was curious how yours has held up?

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Kitchen Laminate. Waxed here and there will last a long time..

If you can find a cabinet shop local they often have pieces hanging around they will sell. Usually off colors but useable...

·
Registered
230 Posts

Understood. But, what we are trying to explain is that value is relative to usefulness. If a tool will do the job for you it is more valuable to you. If you are comparing it to a router table for jointing purposes, then yes, it will do a better job more quickly and more conveniently. Just don't try to joint very long heavy pieces. I jointed some 4-5" wide x about 4 foot long boards on my 4" jointer once. I was able to do it, but it was very awkward and tedious. If you are working with small work pieces, a 4" jointer will do just as well as the big boys.

If the jointer you are looking at will do the job for you and you can get it for $25, jump on it. Almost any tool is worth that much just because it is a woodworking tool :love:

By the way, I really like your router table. Very similar to mine. Did I use a light switch placed horizontally on the right? Yes. Did I use light Formica for the top with hardwood edge? Yes. Did I make a split fence? Yes. Do I use "C" clamps to lock the fence down? Yes. Alas. Mine does not have brass and ceramic handles. Sniff :(

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I drove by there a minute a go and it wasn't outside anymore. He has taken things and put then in the garage and put back for ssle at a later time. Maybe I'll catch the guy outside one day and see if he still has it.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It varies for most depending on what you use it for, plus you may be tall with long arms. For me 5'7 , 12" still leaves me in control...

·
Registered
86 Posts
It varies for most depending on what you use it for, plus you may be tall with long arms. For me 5'7 , 12" still leaves me in control...
Ok, thanks. mine is 18". It not overwhelming when I run wider board and table tops, its pretty comfortable, but smaller stock is bit of a reach or at least seems so.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts