Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I said in another thread I some times get stumped, well I may be. I found these little pieces of funky (curly and with some spalting) oak in the shed and since I do some George Nakashima knockoffs, I was going to build this chair (or something similar, just kick it up a notch with funkier wood).

Attachments

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Then I got thinking. The chair is cool, but kinda flimsy looking, more of an "art chair" than a setting chair ?. I am still thinking chair, maybe, just not that one. The pieces are each about 15" X 22". I don't need a cabinet (I don't think) but they would make cool doors. I butterflied them together (just dry fit, not glued yet). It is rough saw/skip planed. I am going to fill the crack with epoxy. If you had this wood what would you make ? They will look really neat finished with the figure and spalt.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I also don't really need matching end tables either, but it is an option. I would rather keep them together somehow, since they are a book match set.

·
Andrew Close
280 Posts
a chair would be kinda cool if you could use one for the backrest and one for the seat. it would look like it had been broken and fixed. :smile:
how did you cut the bowties and bowtie holes?
how about a box of some sort and use those pieces for the lid? small trunks...

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
a chair would be kinda cool if you could use one for the backrest and one for the seat.

how did you cut the bowties and bowtie holes?
One for the back and one for the seat was the plan, opened up like a book with crack lined up. Butterflies (or bowties) are easy to cut on a piece that is completely busted in 2. These holes I cut with a scroll saw and finished with a chisel. The butterflies are cut on the bandsaw. Just lay them on the piece and trace them for your hole. In wood that is just cracked the holes are harder. I drill a round hole to stick a jigsaw in and cut the rough hole then square them up with a chisel. It takes a little time to get a perfect fit, but I like them because I like weird stuff.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I also don't really need matching end tables either, but it is an option. I would rather keep them together somehow, since they are a book match set.
Try laying them out end to end with the crack lined up and see how that looks....

·
Registered
92 Posts
Darren you have all the nice wood......:furious:

I have never seen bow ties going right through as a support or a leg, there may be good reason for that.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Darren you have all the nice wood......:furious:
:laughing:, that was just "scrap" off this log. 60" X 14' (?) I had cut in half for length, then split in 1/4 to even move it with my skidsteer, 1/8 of the log still had the back wheels off the ground :huh:. The log weighed 17,000 lbs...dropped off for free by an excavation contractor.

That was a couple years ago, I have had a computer blow up (and many nicer logs) since then. I did find these pics someplace else. You can kinda see the curl in this little board, I sawed out a bunch of 24" wide curly 1/4 sawn, it was killer....darn near worked me to death in the middle of July and 100 degrees though.

Attachments

·
Registered
979 Posts
I like them end to end. That would look pretty cool with three contrasting bread boards. The two on the end like normal, but then one in the center...another table top, just what you probably don't need!

·
Andrew Close
280 Posts
Daren,

if you can't think of something to do with those hunks of wood, you can send them to me and i'll come up with something. ;)

·
Registered
92 Posts
You could stand them vertical and put a sports coat over them....or you could make a real nice formal dressing mannequin...I am sure James......James Bond would use it.....

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I couldn't wait for you fellers to come up with something :laughing:. I started a 1/4 sawn curly oak frame today. I thought the one in the picture I posted looked unstable (I am 6'3" 210 lbs and "growing" :glare:) and to be comfortable needed arms too (not show in the dry fit, I will make them soon) I am making a high back version of my own. I will post finished pictures, well I guess when it is finished. I just propped the back piece up for a picture, I have not even glued in the butterflies or filled the crack with epoxy. Should look pretty cool done ?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
how long did it take to build the frame?
Well I started on it this morning (by digging in the shed for the right rough sawn lumber). Got interrupted 1/2 dozen times by guys wanting to buy lumber/have tools sharpened. I lost track really how much time I got to spend on it, maybe 3-4 hours design/build/dry fit. I figure I will have 2 full days it it from start to finish, about 1/2 a day of that is head scratching on design...but my days are very disrupted, so 2 full days may be 2 weeks from now ?

·
Andrew Close
280 Posts
looks good so far.
that frame looks like it would support someone that's only about 150 lbs (and growing) ;)
maybe you should send it to me FOR TESTING when you're done ;)

·
Registered
251 Posts
Cool chair buddy, what a great use for cracked, figured stock. It wouldn't look near as antique without the split and butterflys. I thought it could be kind of neat for a hanging knife board in the kitchen (ok, my wife came up with that one). Of course, now she's questioning why I don't make her something like that. Thanks Daren......

1 - 20 of 43 Posts