Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, If you got through the whole title, you probably understand where I am coming from. Through days of research I have come out nearly shorthanded. And from searching here I hear that ecabinets is aawesome, but I am only a DIY'er for now and am fairly certain that I will be denied the software. I do however own 2 other computers with Windows, but I love my MAC and am hopeful to find something suitable for what I do.

I tend to do mostly custom things like hopechests, furniture, some cabinets, and mostly whatever people can think up. All I really want is to have a software program that allows me to draw up what a finished product would look like, not necessarily give me a cut and materials list, although that would be nice. Oh, and I am also trying to stay under $300 if possible.

What I think I have my eye on would be Gizmolab's Design Intuition, but I was hoping to get other opinions and maybe some words from experienced users? You can check out the web site here http://www.gizmolab.com/software/index.html.

Also, TexasTimbers started a thread a while back to maybe share info on good books, magazines, and such and he mentioned a woodworkersjournal I believe with reviews of design software for under $150. If anyone knows where I could get my hands on that, I would sure make an effort to look over those reviews.

Thanks to all and sorry for the rambling!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
273 Posts
You can try the "Google SketchUp". According to a recent article, it will run on a MAC. The basic version is free.

The latest issue of Fine Wood Working magazine has an article discussing it and provides some "How to's".

·
Registered
6 Posts
SketchUP

I think you will find SketcUp to be the reigning king of the woodworking community (hobbyists, at least). Its a great program but might be limited for experienced CAD users. And yes, it run flawlessly on a Mac.

Marc

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok, so I downloaded the sketchup program, but I am not finding it quite as intuitive or promising as what I had expected from everyones comments. So, any ideas or advice?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I dont want to divert folks from this group, but the JLC Online finish carpentry forum has a number of overly experienced sketchuppers. I also believe gary Katz has some tutorials on his website

1 - 9 of 9 Posts