Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Egg Spurt
2,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have this old craftsman 1.5 HP compressor that probably has never had the oil changed since it was new. My son got it somewhere awhile back so I've never been into it yet..
The problem so far is how to get the plastic cover off the pump to change the oil. The only screws I see are recessed in about 4 inches and appear to be star bit heads filled with god only knows what.. I'm not even sure that's what they are, but they're the only thing that even resembles screws..
Anyone ever had the cover off one of these things?

·
Registered
604 Posts
You should be able to find both an owners manual, as well as a parts manual available on line. From those you should be able to determine how to proceed.

·
Registered
Egg Spurt
2,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You should be able to find both an owners manual, as well as a parts manual available on line. From those you should be able to determine how to proceed.
Should be, but the numbers are worn off and there's about 600 craftsman variations on the same compressor..lol

·
Registered
Egg Spurt
2,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like I'm going to buy a set of star screwdrivers for this. The drivers I have now are too wide and too short although I can use extensions..I guess I'll dig through all my mechanical tools to see if any will fit.. I might be luckier than I think..

·
Smart and Cool
2,233 Posts
Looks like I'm going to buy a set of star screwdrivers for this. The drivers I have now are too wide and too short although I can use extensions..I guess I'll dig through all my mechanical tools to see if any will fit.. I might be luckier than I think..
Not to discourage you from buying tools, but I am 99% certain that is an oil less compressor, you might find a model number and look it up to eliminate that last 1% of uncertainty... :)

The only maintenance on those is cleaning the filter until the diaphragm goes, then you will need those new torx drivers.

·
Registered
builder / creator jack of all master of none
31 Posts
Not to discourage you from buying tools, but I am 99% certain that is an oil less compressor, you might find a model number and look it up to eliminate that last 1% of uncertainty... :)

The only maintenance on those is cleaning the filter until the diaphragm goes, then you will need those new torx drivers.
Also draining the water

·
Registered
builder / creator jack of all master of none
31 Posts
That pretty much goes without saying, my comments were specific to any service on the compressor head.
You would be surprised how many people don't to do it.

·
Registered
Egg Spurt
2,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's not an oilless.. Far too quiet..and last time I drained the water there was a bit of oil in it, not a lot, but the oil didn't just magically appear out of nowhere..
I'm just not wild about long, skinny holes with fasteners at the ends of them.. I'll get it off one way or another..

·
Registered
Egg Spurt
2,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Whaddaya know? It is an oilless. I found the right socket to get the screws out.. By far the quietest oilless I've ever heard run.
I'll run it till the wheels fall off or as soon as I'm flat broke and can't afford to replace it..whichever comes first.. Now I'm wondering where the oil in the water came from .. Heavy mystery time I guess..

·
Smart and Cool
2,233 Posts
Whaddaya know? It is an oilless. I found the right socket to get the screws out.. By far the quietest oilless I've ever heard run.
I'll run it till the wheels fall off or as soon as I'm flat broke and can't afford to replace it..whichever comes first.. Now I'm wondering where the oil in the water came from .. Heavy mystery time I guess..
Any chance someone cleaned, and oiled the intake filter?

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
where'd the oil come from . . .

lotsa' times raw steel is protected with an oil coating to prevent rust before fabrication.

·
Registered
Egg Spurt
2,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
where'd the oil come from . . .

lotsa' times raw steel is protected with an oil coating to prevent rust before fabrication.
Could be..I was the painter in a big fabrication shop.. Some days it was nothing but degreasing things so paint would stick. Don't imagine that they spend a lot of time cleaning grease out of the insides of air tanks..

·
Registered
Egg Spurt
2,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Completely unrelated, but I didn't want to start a new thread..
I managed to drop a dado shim directly down into the dust collection chute of the saw right beyond the reach of my fingers.. Got a flex magnet doohickie and fished it out and wasn't sure if I could ever pull it back out the way it went in, but I did eventually. I think I'm going to start keeping a rag handy to cover up the chute. Last time it was the arbor nut.. Next time it'll be my glass eye and I don't even have a glass eye.. lol

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Completely unrelated, but I didn't want to start a new thread..
I managed to drop a dado shim directly down into the dust collection chute of the saw right beyond the reach of my fingers.. Got a flex magnet doohickie and fished it out and wasn't sure if I could ever pull it back out the way it went in, but I did eventually. I think I'm going to start keeping a rag handy to cover up the chute. Last time it was the arbor nut.. Next time it'll be my glass eye and I don't even have a glass eye.. lol
Stuff like that happens more often when your right hand gets attacked by arthritis.
https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/threads/arthritis-attack.226104/

·
Registered
Egg Spurt
2,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Stuff like that happens more often when your right hand gets attacked by arthritis.
https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/threads/arthritis-attack.226104/
The arthritis kind of self healed up for the most part.. This was more of me fumbling things. I was handling heavier spacers then the skinny little shim and my brain didn't adjust fast enough.. I almost had it two or three times, but it was bound and determined to go visit that chute.. At least I now have an adjustable magnetic thingy with a little light on the end of it.. Generally I'm not a big HF fan, but when it comes to the cheap stuff everyone else wants an arm and a leg for HF is tops..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts