Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a carpenter who had finished installing my windows with wood framing trim in maple, to stain the wood with cherry and finish with a lacquer. Both the stain and lacquer he gave me are oil-based (minwax stain and minwax clear lacquer). I just discovered that oil-based stains shouldnt use oil-based lacquers; they should be treated with polyurethane or polyacrylic.

How do I remove the oil-based lacquer that I applied previously? Sand and re-apply a coat of stain?

Thanks

·
Registered
12,543 Posts
"I just discovered that oil-based stains shouldnt use oil-based lacquers; they should be treated with polyurethane or polyacrylic. "

Where did you learn this? I guess that I have never heard that before. I have used the Minwax stains many times. I do not use the Minwas lacquer, but I use others that are oil based.

George

·
Old School
24,027 Posts
Both the stain and lacquer he gave me are oil-based (minwax stain and minwax clear lacquer). I just discovered that oil-based stains shouldnt use oil-based lacquers; they should be treated with polyurethane or polyacrylic.

How do I remove the oil-based lacquer that I applied previously? Sand and re-apply a coat of stain?

Thanks

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Lacquer is not oil based, it's acetone based (lacquer thinner). Lacquer can be used as a topcoat over a dry oil base stain. Oil base stains can also be coated with oil base polyurethane, oil base varnishes, shellac, and waterbased polyurethane.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On the minwax website it mentions to use either polyacrylic or polyurethane as a finish to the oil bassed stains. So, can the minwax clear lacquers be used on my dried oil-base stain? which is better to use- polyurethane, lacquer or polyacrylic?

Also, Im getting an orange peel appearance in one area of my finish. Im assuming i need to re-sand lightly?

Thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
lacquer will not hold up to uv ray's and should not be used in areas that get sun. you should be able to remove with lacquer thinner. i would use a poly after that

1 - 5 of 5 Posts