Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!
I have made a Chinese Checker Board and I used a oil base gloss poly. My question is how can I make it look better? My husband thinks it looks great but I think there may be a finishing process to make it even better.
I have not touched it since the last coat was applied.
Any suggestions?
Thank you in advance!

Attachments

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
You could try a light sanding with 320x open coat sandpaper, and applying another coat or two of topcoat. Beyond that, you could take your sanding to progressively higher grits...like 1500x (wet-or-dry) with water. Then use a rubbing compound, and after a polishing compound using a smooth cloth to rub out the finish.

·
Registered
26,862 Posts
The only thing I'm seeing is the grain texture of the darker wood. A grain filler would have been good but you would have to take the finish off to use that. At this point you could fill the grain by sanding it and apply more coats to the dark wood sanding it between coats. You will need to coat over the lighter wood but I would keep it to a minimum as it would tend to give a yellow cast and continue to yellow as it ages.

·
Banned
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The gentleman we made this for did not want any filler. And of course wenge was used!
Thanks for the advise!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts