Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Ohio No. 8 has a laminated iron in bad shape, which along with the chipbreaker, may well be lost in the mail somewhere between here and Penna. So, does anyone know of a source of replacement irons that will fit an Ohio No. 8? Would a standard Stanley-configuration iron fit? Width is 2 5/8", I think.

·
7,222 Posts
Answering for the forum posterity.

I finally received the blade and cap iron from railaw.

The blade is tapered in thickness from the cutting edge (thick) to the top (thin). My first experience of a blade with a tapered thickness. Interesting.

The cap iron has a screw size slightly larger than Stanley, so if a replacement was being used from another vintage Stanley, or new from e.g., Veritas, then a new screw would be needed.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Got the iron back at the beginning of the week; thanks Dave. It is quite sharp. I have been on a quest to find a replacement screw for the ohio cap. Walt q at brass city records gave me three to try and none fit. He'S giving another go tonight. If he comes up dry I'll have to look elsewhere. Anyone know where I might find a cap screw for an ohio 08? It is very large. It is not the same as at least some of the ohio woodies and Stanley screws are nowhere near right. Or a resource that might describe the dimensions of the screw?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've been tied up with work and family for weeks, but finally have had a chance to get back to the shop last night, with a shiny "new" cap iron screw thanks to Walt Q's achievement of an apparently Sisyphean task in going through who knows how many Ohio iron and caps to find one that fit mine. Interestingly, mine had a different size screw than many other Ohio's; even other Ohio 08's. I had lost the screw in the mail thanks to a poor packing job on my part. It looked original, as does the cap iron, both to my inexperienced eyes and to Walt's. Anyway, all worked splendidly, with the new screw, Dave Paine's sharpening job and some Renaissance wax (still shocked what a difference the wax makes), and I was experiencing jointing bliss....

image-347353108.jpg

image-2317189512.jpg

·
7,222 Posts
Terrific, looking good. Glad to read that Walt was able to find a cap iron screw. :thumbsup:

I wonder how many variations Ohio had in the thread specification.

Good to see a happy end to the thread.

A tiny amount of wax can make a big difference in reducing friction.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts