Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I scored some realy nice pallets from work last week...mostly oak, some with some nice grain, color and even some figuring. Starting from this: image-3965542962.jpg I'm making one of those "Shut the box game" boxes, from plans available on Steve Ramsey's "Woodworking for Mere Mortals" site. A few cuts, a bit of stain, and some judicious sanding along with a walnut strip inlay on what is to be the wood, and I have this: image-3472226094.jpg Next is to apply a wipe on poly finish, cut out the lid, get some felt, a 1/8" rod, some hinges and a clasp, drill the holes in the flip tiles, apply some numbers, and assemble. Hopefully this weekend will see it finished!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it's not finished yet, but so far i've spent about 6 - 8 hours on it, working for a couple hours every day this week after I get home from work.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
woot woot...finished, except for mebbe some polish!

A decorative clasp on the front:

image-773804712.jpg

Small hinges on the back:

image-3489067945.jpg

Some felt on the insides, and a pair of wooden dice:

image-4175154281.jpg

Some stick-on numbers on the "flippers":

image-627687024.jpg

Ready to play!

·
Senior Sawdust Sweeper
1,540 Posts
Looks good! Don't always expect the wood to be fully dry on any skid you find. I've recovered red oak from a big skid that was far from dry, especially the runners. I think one piece I cut and used for a blower tube support shrank at least an eighth of an inch thickness off of four inches.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts