Woodworking Talk banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m making this template the slots are all 1/2” and I’m using a 5/8 collet and 1/2“ bit.

Road surface Wood Asphalt Automotive exterior Floor

I get it routed “gee doesn’t that look nice”. Then the realization hits - I’ve routed a 1/2“ slot that fine for the piece, but it’s not gonna work as a template.

”If I only had a 5/8” bit…..do they make a 5/8” bit? I’ve never seen one, but why wouldn’t they?”

It will be here Wednesday 😆.

·
where's my table saw?
31,507 Posts
I’m making this template the slots are all 1/2” and I’m using a 5/8 collet and 1/2“ bit.
I get it routed “gee doesn’t that look nice”. Then the realization hits - I’ve routed a 1/2“ slot that fine for the piece, but it’s not gonna work as a template.

”If I only had a 5/8” bit…..do they make a 5/8” bit? I’ve never seen one, but why wouldn’t they?”

It will be here Wednesday 😆.
You said;

I think you meant to say 5/8" guide bushing?
If you want 5/8" slots, one method would be to use a 1/2" guide bushing with a 5/8" bit, but shorten the bushing by 1/16" less than material thickness, so there no chance it will cut into the bushing.

If you wanted 1/2" slots you can use a top bearing bit/flush trim to make your slots 1/2"......

·
where's my table saw?
31,507 Posts
Make the slot in the template 1/8” wider and make 2 passes with the bit?
How? You would need a template for that. You can't make a slot wider than it is presently by any other means that I know, except by hand/eye.
See my post above.

·
Premium Member
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You said;

I think you meant to say 5/8" guide bushing?
If you want 5/8" slots, one method would be to use a 1/2" guide bushing with a 5/8" bit, but shorten the bushing by 1/16" less than material thickness, so there no chance it will cut into the bushing.

If you wanted 1/2" slots you can use a top bearing bit/flush trim to make your slots 1/2"......
Yeah I meant bushing. I want to make a template I can pattern route the outside and cut the slots all on one go.

Already did. I buy all my “one and done” bits on Amazon - Yonico.

Make the slot in the template 1/8” wider and make 2 passes with the bit?
I was going to do this and didn’t b/c I guess my frustration level was up and I was concerned about getting it right since it’s a curve it would mean 1/16 off both sides.

@WNT, the curve was made with a template using a 5/8” guide bushing and 1/2” bit. When the 5/8” bit gets here, I’ll repeat the same process with a 3/4 bushing, then I’ll have a template that will works with the 5/8 bushing.

·
where's my table saw?
31,507 Posts
@WNT, the curve was made with a template using a 5/8” guide bushing and 1/2” bit. When the 5/8” bit gets here, I’ll repeat the same process with a 3/4 bushing, then I’ll have a template that will works with the 5/8 bushing.
How can you do that with that template? OR is that photo of a finished piece? Do you have more, different templates, a 5/8" one and a 3/4" one?
I think we're only getting half the story here, so I'm filling in the gaps, kinda. I know you're smart enough to know how this would be done, but knowing the entire process would be good.

·
Premium Member
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No I can't use that template. What you're seeing in the pic is my goof up. But since I've got it, I will use it to trace the slots onto the new template and that template will have 5/8" wide slots to accomodate the bushing. I have a separate template for routing the curved slot.

The new template with the 5/8" slots will be used in conjunction with a 1/2" bit and 5/8" bushing to route the slots in the leg.

Does that make sense now?

·
where's my table saw?
31,507 Posts
No I can't use that template. What you're seeing in the pic is my goof up. But since I've got it, I will use it to trace the slots onto the new template and that template will have 5/8" wide slots to accomodate the bushing. I have a separate template for routing the curved slot.

The new template with the 5/8" slots will be used in conjunction with a 1/2" bit and 5/8" bushing to route the slots in the leg.

Does that make sense now?
Maybe you missed my suggestion to use the same template with a 1/2" bushing and a 5/8" bit, just remove the bottom 1/8" off the bushing so there's no chance of the bit hitting the bushing.

·
Premium Member
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Maybe you missed my suggestion to use the same template with a 1/2" bushing and a 5/8" bit, just remove the bottom 1/8" off the bushing so there's no chance of the bit hitting the bushing.
I don't understand how that would work.

Its not really complicated you route slots in a template that match the diameter of whatever bushing you're using. In this case, a 3/4 bushing and 5/8" bit. The final routing in the wood is made with a 5/8" bushing and 1/2" bit. o_O o_O o_O

·
where's my table saw?
31,507 Posts
I don't understand how that would work.

Its not really complicated you rout slots in a template that match the diameter of whatever bushing you're using. In this case, a 3/4 bushing and 5/8" bit. The final routing in the wood is made with a 5/8" bushing and 1/2" bit. o_O o_O o_O
Yes, that is the normal way of doing it and the way I've I've always used.
However, when your template slots are too small, and you want to make them larger is where the problem is as I understand your "ooops".
You can't get a larger bit to fit in the smaller slots! Now what?
Is there a way to enlarge the template slot for a larger size bushing?
The grinding sound you hear are the gears in my brain turning and not meshing ....... 😕

What if you saw right down the center of the slot on the same curve, and space it out by 1/8" and glue it back together?
Probably easier to make a new template, I donno?

·
Premium Member
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The template I use to make the curved slot in the final template is just a single piece of MDF the bushing rides against. I should probably post a pic b/c its a bit confusing. I'm using a template to create a template if that makes any sense.

My first thought was move the template over a skosh and re-route everything to 5/8", but what if its not enough/or too much? I decided if the bushing is either slightly loose or tight, I would have to fiddle round with filing, etc and might not get an accurate result. That said, I could have tried it and ordered the bit if it didn't work.

In the end, it was just simpler to wait a couple days for the bit.

·
where's my table saw?
31,507 Posts
The template I use to make the curved slot in the final template is just a single piece of MDF the bushing rides against. I should probably post a pic b/c its a bit confusing. I'm using a template to create a template if that makes any sense.

My first thought was move the template over a skosh and re-route everything to 5/8", but what if its not enough/or too much? I decided if the bushing is either slightly loose or tight, I would have to fiddle round with filing, etc and might not get an accurate result. That said, I could have tried it and ordered the bit if it didn't work.

In the end, it was just simpler to wait a couple days for the bit.
So, you do have a template with 3/4" slots so you can use a 3/4" bushing and a 5/8" bit?
If not how you gonna do this?

·
Premium Member
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I’m just riding a curve to create the slots. Seemed like the simplest way to start. Hopefully the pics will clear everything up.

I’ll use a 3/4 bushing and 5/8 bit and route new 5/8 wide slots. Since I’ve already got the geometry figured out, I’m going to use the existing template to set up the new slots. I’m going to start by trying to make them larger, if that doesn’t work I’ll make a new one. Of course IF I remember to trace it out on new material first. 😳

I discovered the curve for the seat slats is actually a portion of the curve for the back slats. A straight edge for the mortises. Stop blocks for each slot.

Schematic Slope Font Rectangle Map

Road surface Asphalt Rectangle Wood Grey

Automotive tire Tire Wood Tread Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Wheel Bumper

Back slat pattern and template.

Wood Office ruler Twig Tool Table

Wood Rectangle Flooring Automotive design Grey

1 - 16 of 16 Posts