Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time poster
I've worked w/wood most of my life but have had a unique reaction occur with some old reclaimed wormy chestnut. I hope that someone can give me an explanation, action, and treatment.
I've sanded down the wood and in order to raise the nap I wet a rag with water, applied - w/in the hour, after having let it dry, the wood was covered in black/grey flecks. It looks to be in the grain. I did re-sand and that took most of it out. My question - what is it (mold?), how to treat (I don't want it to happen when I apply my finish), has anyone ever seen before?
I appreciate the feedback

Jack

·
bzguy
581 Posts
Do you have iron in your water?
Wood reacts this way with iron or rust, clamps that touch water based wood glue always leave black marks.
Just a little from a rag that wiped a rusty surface etc., will stain wood black.

·
Registered
26,320 Posts
I'm inclined to believe there was something on the rag or in the water. Even red oak which is prone to get black spots from water doesn't do that in one application.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Odd wood, wormy chestnut

Thank you all for the suggestions
- I live in Birmingham and we have very good treated water it's poss that iron still is in the water but I've not ever had this reaction w/any other wood type

- as for the rag having anything on it I use clean rags for any new finishing
So I doubt that I had anything on it

- I use steel wool after I apply my first coat of tung oiL

As it stands I'm sanding it out as much as I can then ill start my finish

Thanks again

J

1 - 5 of 5 Posts