Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time poster
I've worked w/wood most of my life but have had a unique reaction occur with some old reclaimed wormy chestnut. I hope that someone can give me an explanation, action, and treatment.
I've sanded down the wood and in order to raise the nap I wet a rag with water, applied - w/in the hour, after having let it dry, the wood was covered in black/grey flecks. It looks to be in the grain. I did re-sand and that took most of it out. My question - what is it (mold?), how to treat (I don't want it to happen when I apply my finish), has anyone ever seen before?
I appreciate the feedback

Jack

·
bzguy
581 Posts
Do you have iron in your water?
Wood reacts this way with iron or rust, clamps that touch water based wood glue always leave black marks.
Just a little from a rag that wiped a rusty surface etc., will stain wood black.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Odd wood, wormy chestnut

Thank you all for the suggestions
- I live in Birmingham and we have very good treated water it's poss that iron still is in the water but I've not ever had this reaction w/any other wood type

- as for the rag having anything on it I use clean rags for any new finishing
So I doubt that I had anything on it

- I use steel wool after I apply my first coat of tung oiL

As it stands I'm sanding it out as much as I can then ill start my finish

Thanks again

J

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.