Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 1977 C10 chevrolet truck that we want to build a wood flat bed on. i had planned on cutting the wood for this on the mill instead of buying treated wood. this wont be a daily driver. what can i do to protexct the wood when it rains? i had thought thompsons water seal and then paint it.

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
i have a 1977 C10 chevrolet truck that we want to build a wood flat bed on. i had planned on cutting the wood for this on the mill instead of buying treated wood. this wont be a daily driver. what can i do to protexct the wood when it rains? i had thought thompsons water seal and then paint it.
Just paint can make it waterproof.

·
Registered
26,982 Posts
I think you are asking for it if you intend use green wood. What kind of wood do you plan to use? Some wood does better than others outdoors than others. Red oak is one that does pretty bad for what you are doing and treated wood is one of the best. As far as the finish you can expect any film finish to wear off pretty quickly so if you paint it you will have to retouch the paint pretty often. I have a trailer that has a treated wood deck and I painted the trailer but the wood deck I just used Thompsons water seal.

If you do use paint I would use an exterior primer and a oil based enamel and paint all surfaces of the boards before putting it on the truck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts